ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexIBM MQ Installation/Configuration Supporthamvmqm command not working

hamvmqm command not working View previous topic :: View next topic
k_anand2585
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:22 am Post subject: hamvmqm command not working Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi Guys,

I am trying to run hamvmqm command however facing issue.

Steps carried out->
C:\Users\administrator.YLMQ.000>hamvmqm /m CWQT1 /dd “D:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere MQ ”/ld “R:\WebSphere MQ\Logs"

Where CWQT1 is QMGR
/dd is the path where qmanager is installed contining data files
/ld moving to SAN storage where R is the disk

I have sucessfully done haregtype /r

However when i run the ablove comamnd i get info as
Usage: hamvmqm /m queuemanager /dd absolutedatapath /ld absolutelogpath

Is there anything i am missing any response is appreciated.
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:45 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I would expect something like:

hamvmqm /m MYQM /dd "E:\Data" /ld "F:\Log"

It looks to me as though you may be specifying the source as the target for the /dd and /ld values.

Last edited by exerk on Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
k_anand2585
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi Exerk,

Thanks for the response.

I interchange the source and target atleast this time the command went through however when i checked in the Shared storage there was no directory structure for CWQT1

Recent comamnd-->hamvmqm /m CWQT1 /dd “P:\WebSphere MQ\Logs ”/ld “D:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere MQ"

Strange though......
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:12 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

IF you want both the logs and the queue storage to be on the shared storage, then you have to use the shared storage in both the /ll and /ld options.

The only reason to even mention "D:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere MQ" is if you actually want to store something there.

Which you probably don't.

Did you notice how exerk's sample had one set of files on the E drive and the other set of files on the F drive? That was probably a typo. He probably meant to have both of those point to the same E drive.
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

mqjeff wrote:
Did you notice how exerk's sample had one set of files on the E drive and the other set of files on the F drive? That was probably a typo. He probably meant to have both of those point to the same E drive.

Pantomime time..."oh no I didn't!". The example I used is a 'live' example, separation of data files and log files to separate drives.
k_anand2585
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:27 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi,

I want to move the log files and data files to shared disks to make them available to the other computer in the event of a failure

I even tried given the same shared drive P to both dd and ld but still same result.

hamvmqm /m CWQT1 /dd “P:\WebSphere MQ\log ”/ld “P:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere MQ"
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:36 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

k_anand2585 wrote:
hamvmqm /m CWQT1 /dd “P:\WebSphere MQ\log ”/ld “P:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere MQ"

Once more, and with feeling...the hamvmqm command already knows the location of the source directories containing the queue manager data and log files! All it needs to know is where you want to move those files to!.

/dd "TARGET DIRECTORY FOR DATA FILES"

/ld "TARGET DIRECTORY FOR LOG FILES"

Try my example in my previous post - you can always use the command again to move the directory structures back to their original home.
k_anand2585
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:49 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thanks for the response.

I will try again today by crreating new qmanager and again trying the same command will let you know the resuts.

Regards,
Anand
k_anand2585
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:55 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi All,

I restarted the physical machine as a part of weekend activity.

Went to the command prompt ran the command

hamvmqm /m CWQT1 /dd "E:\Data" /ld "E:\Log

It worked sucessfully......

One strange things guy want to highlight ...my wamnger is made of circular logging in mqs.ini file also circular logging.

Thr point is if you want to change the logging type you need to recreate the q manager than pnly u can change the logging type to say linear.

I did not delete the qmanager with existing qmanger CWQT1 i changed its logging type to linear restred the qmanager and to my surprise it showed linear logging in MQ explorer and also mqs.ini file .

How this is possible is it really taking linear logging or still circular logging is used....how to confirm which logging is used ...i have not recreated the qmanager i jsut changed logging type in mqs.ini file..qmanger is working absolutely fine no issues
mqjeff
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

k_anand2585 wrote:
I restarted the physical machine as a part of weekend activity.

That's a nice fact. It does not change your situation.

k_anand2585 wrote:
Went to the command prompt ran the command

hamvmqm /m CWQT1 /dd "E:\Data" /ld "E:\Log

It worked sucessfully......

Because you finally put a destination into both /dd and /ld, rather than trying to put a source into either or both of them.

k_anand2585 wrote:
One strange things guy want to highlight ...my wamnger is made of circular logging in mqs.ini file also circular logging.

Thr point is if you want to change the logging type you need to recreate the q manager than pnly u can change the logging type to say linear.

I did not delete the qmanager with existing qmanger CWQT1 i changed its logging type to linear restred the qmanager and to my surprise it showed linear logging in MQ explorer and also mqs.ini file .

How this is possible is it really taking linear logging or still circular logging is used....how to confirm which logging is used ...i have not recreated the qmanager i jsut changed logging type in mqs.ini file..qmanger is working absolutely fine no issues

it's documented that it won't take effect.

If you want to verify that the documentation is correct, then you need to issue enough transactions to fill up the existing defined total log space - both primary and secondary. If this results in the creation of a NEW log file, you know you have linear.

You can also attempt a rcdmqimg.
k_anand2585
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi Guys ,

Tried sending large message size with primary logs and secondary as 3 adn 2 respectively with log page size as 4096

Each message was of 50mb likewise sent 6 to 8 messages in single transaction and got log file size full...So it proves that even though u can make manual changes to mqs.ini file, it will not change the logtype and log page size..

You have to recreate the qmanager...But dont u think this is limitation.

In large environements deleting and recreating qmanagers is not feasible there shud be some provision to do it...

Is it limitaion of MQ Product
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:11 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

k_anand2585 wrote:
...You have to recreate the qmanager...But dont u think this is limitation.

In large environements deleting and recreating qmanagers is not feasible there shud be some provision to do it...

Is it limitaion of MQ Product

No, it's not a limitation - it's a logical restriction. Imagine the havoc that could be wreaked by the ability to arbitrarily change the logging type - especially in a Production environment.
k_anand2585
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi Exerk,

May be you are right.

The work or havoc that can be created afte randomly changing the logging type in production can create lot of issues.

Also delting and and recreatiing the qmanager,creating resources and adding the qmanager in HACMP and MSCS control is all together a different headache.

In case at my end the Network is already defined, i cannot expect for more ip, my plan was to add a dummy qmanager to existing cluster and create resources and than delete from MSCS control and HCMP.

So ned to delete it from registry too, however the qmanager i cud nto add due to restriction of ipaddress and though i have a backup of UAT qmanager i cannot dare to delete the qmanager and recreate everything .
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

k_anand2585 wrote:
May be you are right.

He is.

k_anand2585 wrote:
The work or havoc that can be created afte randomly changing the logging type in production can create lot of issues.

More importantly there are clearly distinct use cases for the 2 types of logging. If you need to change the logging type (especially in production) it highlights an issue with your planning & change process. It should be a big deal to change it.

IMHO it's a shame you can dynamically change (increase) the number of logs available to a queue manager. The number of situations I've seen where the queue manager has the maximum number of logs, all full, and 10 minutes into the investigation someone says, "well this happens every now and again; we've got round it by increasing the number of logs but now we're at max & production is down". My polite if sarcastic inquiry as to how far they got finding the application not doing commits is typically met with, "we don't have time for that; it's quicker just to increase the logs".

Not relevant to your situation but I feel better for the rant. Thanks for listening.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:15 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Vitor wrote:
... I feel better for the rant. Thanks for listening.

We're here to help.

MQSeries.net Forum IndexIBM MQ Installation/Configuration Supporthamvmqm command not working
Jump to: