ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » SSL queue manager to queue manager

SSL queue manager to queue manager « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jacquesvdm
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: SSL queue manager to queue manager Reply with quote

Apprentice

The SSL connection was closed by the remote end of the channel during the SSL handshake.
I have two queue managers using sender receiver channels pairs configured to use SSL. The channels both start successfully and runs for a while. After a few days i noticed that both channels are in retrying state. the error log have this error "The SSL connection was closed by the remote end of the channel during the SSL handshake"
on the other server I have this error
Bad SSL certificate for channel '????'.

A certificate encountered during SSL handshaking is regarded as bad for one of the following reasons: &B (a) it was formatted incorrectly and could not be validated &B (b) it was formatted correctly but failed validation against the Certification Authority (CA) root and other certificates held on the local system &B (c) it was found in a Certification Revocation List (CRL) on an LDAP server &B (d) a CRL was specified but the CRL could not be found on the LDAP server &B (e) an OCSP responder has indicated that it is revoked &P The channel is '????'; in some cases its name cannot be determined and so is shown as '????'. The remote host is 'agent4 (ip address removed)'. The channel did not start.
"

It seems like the Keystore on both ends are no longer valid. after recreating the keystores, regenerate certificates and again exchanging the newly generated keys the channels start again and the cycle starts again.

Anyone else have simular experience.

Thanks
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

You could disable OCSP with this in the qm.ini files.

Quote:
SSL:
OCSPCheckExtensions=No ; Do not try to contact OCSP server
OCSPAuthentication=WARN

IBM have turned it on by default in WMQ v7 and it can cause issues.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

zpat wrote:
You could disable OCSP with this in the qm.ini files.

Quote:
SSL:
OCSPCheckExtensions=No ; Do not try to contact OCSP server
OCSPAuthentication=WARN

IBM have turned it on by default in WMQ v7 and it can cause issues.

By default the channel would not work at all from its initial start, not work for a while then fail.

jacquesvdm, even if you are not using CRLs, or populating the SSLCRNL attribute of the queue manager, certificate revocation checking is not invoked unless one of the SSL certificates used contains an AuthorityInfoAccess or CrlDistributionPoint X.509 certificate extension.
jacquesvdm
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: SSL entries on Windows Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi
I am working on windows XP and Windows Server 2008 R2. Can I assume that I have to create the SSL stanza SSL using REGEDIT and then insert the three settings as indicated in your email. I do not see SSL settings on my queue manager currently.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: SSL entries on Windows Reply with quote

Jedi Council

jacquesvdm wrote:
Hi
I am working on windows XP and Windows Server 2008 R2. Can I assume that I have to create the SSL stanza SSL using REGEDIT and then insert the three settings as indicated in your email. I do not see SSL settings on my queue manager currently.

If you're using V7.0.1.7 (the version I'm using) the settings are in the SSL tab of the queue manager view in MQExplorer. Alternatively, use the following command lines:

amqmdain reg <QMGR NAME> -c add -s SSL -v OCSPAuthentication=Optional
amqmdain reg <QMGR NAME> -c add -s SSL -v OCSPCheckExtensions=NO

'Optional' above can be changed to 'Warn' if you prefer, however that will cause a lot of logging of warnings in the queue manager error logs.
jacquesvdm
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Additional SSL configs Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi
Thanks for this, I am using MQ 7.0.1.7 and saw the settings. I will change them and keep you posted.

regards
jacquesvdm
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: SSL issue Reply with quote

Apprentice

just an update, so far so good.
I will now only write an update if it fails again.

Regards

Jacques
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: SSL entries on Windows Reply with quote

Jedi Council

exerk wrote:

'Optional' above can be changed to 'Warn' if you prefer, however that will cause a lot of logging of warnings in the queue manager error logs.

No it won't unless OCSPCheckExtensions=YES is also set.
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: SSL entries on Windows Reply with quote

Jedi Council

zpat wrote:
exerk wrote:

No it won't unless OCSPCheckExtensions=YES is also set.

Again, another school day - thank you!

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » SSL queue manager to queue manager
Jump to: