ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Clustering MQSeries Server for Windows

Clustering MQSeries Server for Windows « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ashtek
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Clustering MQSeries Server for Windows Reply with quote

We are going to install MQSeries server for windows on two VMs (windows 2008 r2). I want to know how to achieve failover automatically by clustering the MQs on these two VMs so if VM1 goes down, other applications will continue sending messages to MQ on VM2 without doing any changes.
Can we do this without windows clustering (MSCS)? If yes, I would like to know what configurations needs to be done to achieve this? (I'm new to MQ and need details on how to cluster MQ, whether we need to cluster queue managers, etc)
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Clustering MQSeries Server for Windows Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ashtek wrote:
I want to know how to achieve failover automatically by clustering the MQs on these two VMs so if VM1 goes down, other applications will continue sending messages to MQ on VM2 without doing any changes.

Do you mean "sending" or do you mean "processing"? You can have an application using a client connection (which yours may or may not be) send to whichever queue manager is up, but messages on a downed queue manager are stuck.

ashtek wrote:
Can we do this without windows clustering (MSCS)?

Maybe. See above.

ashtek wrote:
If yes, I would like to know what configurations needs to be done to achieve this? (I'm new to MQ and need details on how to cluster MQ, whether we need to cluster queue managers, etc)

If you'd looked through this potentially misleading forum section you'd have found endless comments from myself and others pointing out that "clustering" has 2 meanings:

a) WMQ Clustering, used for load balancing
b) HA Clustering, used by MSCS and similar to provide failover

Do not confuse the 2.
ashtek
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Clustering MQSeries Server for Windows Reply with quote

Hi Vitor, Thanks for your reply.

Vitor wrote:
ashtek wrote:
I want to know how to achieve failover automatically by clustering the MQs on these two VMs so if VM1 goes down, other applications will continue sending messages to MQ on VM2 without doing any changes.

Do you mean "sending" or do you mean "processing"? You can have an application using a client connection (which yours may or may not be) send to whichever queue manager is up, but messages on a downed queue manager are stuck.

Actually we receive messages from another MQ which is on non-windows.
And we have one box with 2 VMs where we'll install MQSeries server for windows.
If one VM goes down, we should have MQ on other VM receive and process the message (and also send to remote MQ) automatically. This means remote MQ should use single IP but we'll have two MQs on VM1 & VM2 (MQ on VM2 should work if VM1 goes down). Any idea what should be done to achieve this?

ashtek wrote:
Can we do this without windows clustering (MSCS)?

Maybe. See above.

ashtek wrote:
If yes, I would like to know what configurations needs to be done to achieve this? (I'm new to MQ and need details on how to cluster MQ, whether we need to cluster queue managers, etc)

If you'd looked through this potentially misleading forum section you'd have found endless comments from myself and others pointing out that "clustering" has 2 meanings:

Do not confuse the 2.

My requirement is to achieve automatic failover (between VM1 & VM2) and I think we need to do MQ clustering for this?
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Clustering MQSeries Server for Windows Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ashtek wrote:
My requirement is to achieve automatic failover (between VM1 & VM2) and I think we need to do MQ clustering for this?

Vitor wrote:

So not only have you not looked through this section for useful discussions, you're not reading my reply either.

ashtek
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Clustering MQSeries Server for Windows Reply with quote

Just to add, infrastructure team wants to avoid MSCS clustering as far as possible.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Clustering MQSeries Server for Windows Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ashtek wrote:
Just to add, infrastructure team wants to avoid MSCS clustering as far as possible.
Look up the term Multi Instance Qmgr.
JasonE
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

High level summary

Clustering: QM1 and QM2 are both active, and if QM1 dies any messages on one of its queues is therefore unavailable.

MSCS: QM1 is running on machine 1, and in case of problems both its IP address and qmgr + data is moved onto another machine. It can also automatically switch back should another failure occur.

Multiinstance: QM1 is running on machine 1 and in standby on machine 2, with data on shared disk, and in case of failure it will start on machine 2 but under a different ip address to machine 1. It will also involve manual input then to be able to switch back.
ashtek
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jason.

JasonE wrote:

Multiinstance: QM1 is running on machine 1 and in standby on machine 2, with data on shared disk, and in case of failure it will start on machine 2 but under a different ip address to machine 1. It will also involve manual input then to be able to switch back.

In this case, is it possible to have a virtual IP assigned to MQ so when QM1 starts on machine2, IP will remain the same?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ashtek wrote:
Thank you Jason.

JasonE wrote:

In this case, is it possible to have a virtual IP assigned to MQ so when QM1 starts on machine2, IP will remain the same?

You probably can, but that would require a networking device with that capability. (additional hardware).
JasonE
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Quote:

Quote:

[/quote]

Not normally, that's why things were changed to provide the clients with the ability of having multiple destinations on their connames, and autoreconnect etc. You really need to read the docs.. e.g.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0/topic/com.ibm.mq.amqzag.doc/fa70155_.htm

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Clustering MQSeries Server for Windows
Jump to: