ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Warn on Queue inactivity

Warn on Queue inactivity « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
taea00
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Warn on Queue inactivity Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to monitoring and very new to MQ. I use ITM for monitoring and need to set up monitoring for MQ. Is there a way to monitor a specific queue for inactivity and then warn if it's been inactive after a few hours?

Thanks!
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Define "inactive"?

You can certainly set up an alert that checks the results of a reset qstats and responds to the fact that there have been no PUTS and no GETS on a queue in a certain period of time.

But that might not mean that the queue is "inactive". it might just mean that it's tuesday at 3pm and the apps making use of the queue are in their maintenance window and everything is perfectly normal.
taea00
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not totally sure how the queues work, this project was dropped in my lap the day I started and the guy that was working on it is on vacation for a month, but I believe by inactive they mean the queue has not received any information in like 2 hours?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Well. Again, there are statistics available that tell you how many messages were put to a queue and how many messages were gotten from a queue in the last X period of time.

You can configure ITM to gather those statistics and then decide that a certain set of values (for example 0 puts) in a given period represents a situation, and then you can configure something to react to that situation.
taea00
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I look at the situation conditions for the queues I'm not seeing anything like that. Are you able to point me to something or tell me the steps that can walk me through setting up that kind of configuration so I can set up situations on those statistics?

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v24r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.omegamon.mes.doc_7.0.1%2Fr_situation_NoQMsgRd.html
taea00
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that is odd, I did see that situation. When I create another instance of that situation I get conditions like "Interval Time" and "last read", but when I create a new situation, those conditions don't show.

So could I just create a situations with Last Put and do compare time to + or - delta and set it for current time? I'm assuming the - delta means take the current time and subtract your value from it? so -30 delta would be 30 min ago?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

You need to investigate monitoring tools, like IBM's Tivoli, and 3rd party competitive tools. With most of these, you can construct the kind of events that you are describing.

This wheel has already been invented.
taea00
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce I'm using ITM, I just don't know what to look for in MQ. I'm brand new to monitoring.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

taea00 wrote:
I just don't know what to look for in MQ. I'm brand new to monitoring.

Look first for Monitoring WebSphere MQ document, or the InfoCenter equivalent.
There's a chapter that details event monitoring; another for message monitoring.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

taea00 wrote:
Bruce I'm using ITM, I just don't know what to look for in MQ. I'm brand new to monitoring.

The issue I have is that I don't know ITM other than what's in that info center I found.
taea00
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the help. You guys got me pointed in the right direction so I think I'll try this last put condition and go from there! Thanks!

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Warn on Queue inactivity
Jump to: