ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » WMB v7 on VMWare running RedHat Linux

WMB v7 on VMWare running RedHat Linux « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
elvis_gn
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: WMB v7 on VMWare running RedHat Linux Reply with quote

Padawan

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience running an Active-Passive WMB v7 HA config on Linux on VMWare.

The customer is looking for some concrete documentation which states who (VMWare, Linux, WMB) will be responsible for doing what in the possible scenarios of an active passive failover...

Are the WMB HA support pacs still required for v7 or did I read somewhere that the functionality was moved into MQ

Note: Not using MQ multi-instance.

Regards.
mqmatt
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Just a thought... your search might be easier if you ignore WMB: in this case, it's just a set of processes that happen to be monitored by the HA manager. The same docs would apply if you replaced WMB with any other application that you wanted to make highly available on VM/Linux.
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

If I were consulting, I would explain the benefits of active-active.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

As mqmatt says, this is two separate issues. One: "how do I choose to make my OS highly available", Two: "How do I choose to make my (broker) software highly available".

If you choose to accomplish Two by only accomplishing One, then that's fine. If you choose to accomplish Two instead of accomplishing One, that's also fine.

But the method for accomplishing Two doesn't change depending on how you accomplish One, and vice versa.

You make linux on VM highly available using VM HA techniques. You make Broker on linux/windows/distributed highly available using linux/windows/distributed HA techniques - either using MI or other HA software.

Yes, the changes and scripts provided in the HA supportPacks for Broker have been incorporated into the base product at Broker v7 level - there is specific instructions in the InfoCenter on how to do this, right next to the pages that talk about doing MI.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » WMB v7 on VMWare running RedHat Linux
Jump to: