ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Measuring the Rate and overhead

Measuring the Rate and overhead « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
JRome
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Measuring the Rate and overhead Reply with quote

Novice

I was told by my colleague that if we try to measure the rate of put and rate of get, or even enabling the last put and get parms through the apps will constitute to adding overhead on the system, is it correct even on the latest versions of WMQ 7.0.1 and higher ?.

Is there a way to reduce this overhead ?.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring the Rate and overhead Reply with quote

Poobah

JRome wrote:
I was told by my colleague that if we try to measure the rate of put and rate of get, or even enabling the last put and get parms through the apps will constitute to adding overhead on the system, is it correct even on the latest versions of WMQ 7.0.1 and higher ?.

When you/your organization installed WMQ, you added overhead to the system. Did you colleague complain about that? According to your colleague, how much system utilization increase? 1%?, 2%?, 25%?, 50%?

Why did you install WMQ? Probably to solve a business problem, to meet a business requirement, to reduce expenses, to become competitive, ...

The project to bring WMQ into your organization should have included the ability to measure WMQ's effectiveness. IBM's Tivoli, and 3rd-party providers, offer software to capture performance data that will allow your organization to manage computer resources.

Every piece of software you install increases demands on hardware. You can call this overhead if you want, but it is the cost of doing business.

In answer to your specific question, generally: only capture data that you need to manage and make business decisions.
Vitor
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring the Rate and overhead Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

JRome wrote:

Of course it's true. Every time you add anything to the system, even a new user, it adds overhead to the system. The impact of a new user is trivial but is there.

JRome wrote:

Reduce it by how much? How much overhead would doing this actually add?

At the moment your colleague is basically telling you that by doing this "the monster in the closet will get you". The first thing you need to determine is if there actually is a monster. Decide what you need to monitor (which is potentially not the same as what you or the business want or think you want to monitor). Set this monitoring up in a load test environment and see how much it actually adds. If resource use jumps 50% then look into what you're monitoring and why, posting back here if necessary. If there seems to be a 1% increase, stick it in production.

And what value does the information hold? If measuring this is important to the business (e.g. to prove or disprove they need to spend $$$ on new hardware) then maybe a 5% overhead is something they'll wear. If this information shows them they can reduce existing hardware spend maybe even more is acceptable.

If it's some middle manager who just feels his weekly report needs another Excel chart then overhead is probably less acceptable.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

If you have any programming experience, ponder how many instructions it takes to add 1 to a counter for each put/get.

If you system is near 100% capacity now, what is the point of capturing performance data?

Does your colleague lament about disk space usage, too? Disk space is seen as an overhead to some.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Measuring the Rate and overhead
Jump to: