ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » How to use RFHUTIL.

How to use RFHUTIL. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sistuchandu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: How to use RFHUTIL. Reply with quote

Hi all,

Im new to MB.
I wanna know how do we use RFHUtil for sending and recieving messages
can u suggest me any sites or any Docs
Please...
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

The readme that comes with it is as good as any. The GUI itself is fairly self explanitory - so far as sending & receiving messages goes you've probably already worked out the "Read Q" and "Write Q" buttons are significant.

As to all the various options & tabs, these map directly onto the various options & constructs of the product so read the product documentation, decide what you need to do and you'll see there's a tab/radio button/drop down for it.

For example, there's nothing in the RFHUtil docs explaining what the fields & controls on the "MQMD" tab are for. But if you know what the MQMD is and what it does, you'll understand the tab.
sistuchandu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: thank u Reply with quote

Its a bit understanding for me
But can we test using RFHutil?
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: thank u Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sistuchandu wrote:

RFHUtil (and it's brother RFHUtilc) are very effective tools for sending and receiving messages.

Depending on the nature of your testing and your environment, other tools (like q or qload) might be more appropriate. Or not. It's an individual choice.

Personally I use all 3 for various tasks through my working day.
mqsiuser
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Make sure that the MCA-User is set on the channel (that you want to use, e.g. you can use 'SYSTEM.AUTO.SVRCONN') to your current system-user (e.g. your Windows-User-Name):

On the machine of your queue manager type "runmqsc <QMGR_NAME>" and then insert:

Code:
ALTER CHANNEL(SYSTEM.AUTO.SVRCONN) CHLTYPE(SVRCONN)  MCAUSER('<WindowsUserName>')

Make sure, that no one else is using the channel (with a different user, which you might then overwrite)... so alternativly you can also create a windows-user with the name of the MCA.

Open rfhutilc.exe (not the "c" at the end) and in the box "Queue Manager Name (to connect to)" enter:

Code:
SYSTEM.AUTO.SVRCONN/tcp/<IP or Hostname>(<MQ Listner Port>)

RFHUTIL is great, I just like it and I also always have to look this up on how to set it up.

Then click "Load Names" to test if its working and follow the official documentation (pdf). E.g. on first Tab you can Open a File and put Data on a queue and on the second Tab "Data" you can have a look at the data.

Last edited by mqsiuser on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqsiuser wrote:
Make sure that the MCA-User is set on the channel (that you want to use, e.g. you can use 'SYSTEM.AUTO.SVRCONN') to your current system-user (e.g. your Windows-User-Name):

a) There's no reason to set an MCAUser just to use RFHUtilc. There are (often discussed here) reasons to set MCAUser but that's a separate discussion.

b) There's no good reason to use any SYSTEM object for any non-queue manager process. You should use a user defined, properly controlled SVRCONN channel for RFHUtilc just like you do for any other application

mqsiuser wrote:
in the box "Queue Manager Name (to connect to)" enter:
Code:
SYSTEM.AUTO.SVRCONN/tcp/<IP or Hostname>(<MQ Listner Port>)

Or use a CCDT and just type the queue manager name. Again, this has nothing to do with RFHUtilc and everything to do with client connections.
mqsiuser
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Ok, sorry... I have set the MCA-User, because I usually use MQMON together with RFHUTIL (I guess this is valid then ?!).

Because without setting the MCAUser (or creating a Windows-Account according to the MCAUser-Name) MQMON will say:

Code:
Error connecting via client to '<QMGR_NAME>' RC(2035) Not authorized.

and o.k. the proper way is to create an additional Server-Connection-Channel (not just change an existing).
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqsiuser wrote:
Ok, sorry... I have set the MCA-User, because I usually use MQMON together with RFHUTIL (I guess this is valid then ?!).

It's all just client connections. How you configure, use and secure them is as individual a choice as what tools to use. And it's too hot on a Friday to reopen any of the debates on any of those 3 client topics!

If it works for you it doesn't sound that bad.....

mqsiuser wrote:
and o.k. the proper way is to create an additional Server-Connection-Channel (not just change an existing).

The more we bang away about best practice (especially to our less experienced posters) the more it spreads.

Also this thread will be in Google by now. I'd hate the next untrained soul trying to use RFHUtilc to find it, think he has to alter a SYSTEM object to use RFHUtilc and be roasted alive by his WMQ admin!
mqsiuser
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Vitor wrote:
any of those 3 client topics!

What do you recommend for the "3 client topics" (configure, use and secure), which links (forum threads, discussion and/or search items for the forum?)
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqsiuser wrote:
Vitor wrote:
any of those 3 client topics!

What do you recommend for the "3 client topics" (configure, use and secure), which links (forum threads, discussion and/or search items for the forum?)

I'd recommend "client configuration", "MCAUser", "MCA User", "SSL" & "client security" as forum search items for starters.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

You can also give this thread about RFHUtil a try which is quite interesting.

On the subject of client security any of Roger's posts are interesting and useful.
ydeonia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi All,
what is the shortcut to see last message in RFHUtils. or keyboard key shortcut to do browse next.

Thanks
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Couple of dangerous defaults to watch with RFHUTIL(C)

1. Defaults to creating non-persistent messages (which can affect transactional behaviour for example in WMB).

2. Defaults to creating messages with no message format. Suggest always setting this in the MQMD tab - for example to MQSTR.
mq4u
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: thank u Reply with quote

Vitor wrote:
sistuchandu wrote:

RFHUtil (and it's brother RFHUtilc) are very effective tools for sending and receiving messages.

Depending on the nature of your testing and your environment, other tools (like q or qload) might be more appropriate. Or not. It's an individual choice.

Personally I use all 3 for various tasks through my working day.

Hi Vitor and fellow members in this forum. I had been using MQ visual edit to load a queue from one single file which will put say 10000 messages on the queue, but the file only had data worth of 1 message without any RFH or MQ MD header. So, it was very convenient from my part to just specify a single input file and MQ visual edit would do the job for me, by replicating the file to 10000 messages on queue.
Does Rfhutil or qload provides this functionality ? I need to try with RFHUtil or qload since at my current place, they do not have MQ visual edit.
I also tried to use Performance harness for JMS jar file by IBM to do that but it also does not have a clear option to do this functionality.
Please help.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

the supportPac that includes the rfhutil executable also includes a bunch of other executables, that do different things.

Best bet is to go download the supportPac and read the documentation.

The JMS Performance Harness from IBM does also allow you to use a file as the contents of a message. The -mf flag does not require that the file be in RFHUTil format, as far as I know.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » How to use RFHUTIL.
Jump to: