ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » file streaming in WMB v7, how does it work ?

file streaming in WMB v7, how does it work ? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ydsk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: file streaming in WMB v7, how does it work ? Reply with quote

Chevalier

I did a simple test to see if streaming really works when reading big files in WMB v7 using a File Input Node, as mentioned by some others in the forum.

Here is my test msgflow:
---------------------------------------------------
FIN--> Compute--> FON

FIN: BLOB, 'Whole File' is a record, rest all default

Compute Node ESQL: CopyEntireMessage, and set OutputLocalEnvironment.Destination.File.Name/Directory to appropriate values to just move the file from one dir to another, NO processing involved. 'Compute Mode' is set to 'All'

FON: 'whole file', rest all default.
---------------------------------------------------
This flow could transfer a 70 MB file from a source dir to a target dir (on the same machine - there is NO ftp involved).

But when a 105 MB file is dropped, the file got moved to mqsibackout directory.

Now I don't understand how streaming works in WMB v7, when a huge file is read by FIN. If streaming works, the file should be moved by my msgflow irrespective of its size (within some limits of course). Can some experts comment on this ?

This is related to my other post on splitting huge XML files, but the issue here is different because there is NO xml involved, it's just BLOB. This thread is just about STREAMING. That's why I created a separate thread/post for the issue. Sorry if it isn't acceptable.

thanks
ydsk.
ydsk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Does specifying 'Whole File' on FIN make the node try reading the entire file in one shot into memory for further processing ? Is that where it fails ?

I saw similar behavior with the msgflow when I tested it with XMLNSC instead of BLOB in the FIN (rest all being the same).

Here is some relevant info I found in the WMB Info Center:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmbhelp/v7r0m0/topic/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/ac25680_.htm

Thanks
ydsk.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The blob parser is NOT a streaming parser.

If you want this to work, configure it to read the file in fixed-length pieces, and connect the end of data terminal to the finish file terminal.

Then the file will only get moved in fixed-length pieces and only the amount of memory for the fixed-length piece will be used.

The previous discussions about handling this better in XMLNSC were based on the fact that XMLNSC *is* a streaming parser. This means that it can handle the fact that FileInput can pass it a handle to a bitstream that has not been fully read, and then the Parser can only access those points of the bitstream that it needs to at a given time. The delete statements you were given in that other thread were to remove the pieces of parsed data from memory after use. It's, however, possible that you're trying to do this on something like Broker v6.0.0.1 which may not actually have streaming capabilities in it.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
It's, however, possible that you're trying to do this on something like Broker v6.0.0.1 which may not actually have streaming capabilities in it.

OP seems clear that some level of WMBv7 is in use.
ydsk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Thanks mqjeff for the info on BLOB parser.

Our environment is all WMQ v7.0.1, and WMB v7.0.0.1 on Windows 2008 R2 servers.

I didn't see the streaming behavior with XMLNSC parser either, as I mentioned already in the other thread.

My real issue is in the other thread (unable to split a huge xml file into smaller chunks with the SAME structure but with a smaller number of repeating elements in each) so I'll leave the discussion in this thread here.

thanks
ydsk

Last edited by ydsk on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Vitor wrote:
mqjeff wrote:
It's, however, possible that you're trying to do this on something like Broker v6.0.0.1 which may not actually have streaming capabilities in it.

OP seems clear that some level of WMBv7 is in use.

Okay. I didn't look up the other thread.

And I suppose I also deserve for forgetting that FileInput wasn't introduced until 6.1.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » file streaming in WMB v7, how does it work ?
Jump to: