ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Multiphase Commit » Is WebSphere MQ 7.0 compatible with SQL Server 2008

Is WebSphere MQ 7.0 compatible with SQL Server 2008 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mdfaraz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Equivalent in .NET? Reply with quote

Novice

Quote:
Here the qmgr will act as transaction manager and as such needs to know about the XA resource, hence this statement.

That means the queue manager exposes API to somehow 'know' the XA resource.
Why don't I see this method in my .NET QueueManager class (amqmdnet.dll)
I dont get why 2 way commit in .NET/SQL server DB is so different from Java/DB2.
Can anyone validate if SQL Server is NOT XA-compliant?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Quote:

XA code location and supported services are specified in a qmgr .ini file (or equivalent Win Registry). This XA registration allows the application to make use of XA facilities and services.

Quote:
Why don't I see this method in my .NET QueueManager class (amqmdnet.dll) I dont get why 2 way commit in .NET/SQL server DB is so different from Java/DB2.

Because the XA stuff is done by the qmgr, at the qmgr, at execution-time. and in base MQI code; and NOT in provider class code.

Keep in mind that the qmgr really only understands and executes the base MQI (Message Queue Interface) calls. The WMQ APR lists the languages that WMQ supports MQI calls directly - C, COBOL, PL/1, Visual Basic, z/OS (s/390) Assembler. For Java, JMS, .NET, and other provider classes, these calls are wrapped/encapsulated in source code; and must be unwrapped to MQI calls.
Quote:

Do a quick Google search for SQL+XA. The first hit answered the question for me.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Briefly, very briefly, this is how an XA transaction is managed. I encourage you to do research on Google for more details.

When an application changes a resource (like a DB call or an MQPUT in syncpoint), a Logical Unit of Work ID (LUWID) is created; and all subsequent resource changes by this app are associated with this LUWID. More importantly, these changes are logged by each resource manager (MQ, DB2, others) involved in the transaction, and the log records include the LUWID.

When the app decides to commit the changes, the transaction coordinator/manager directs each resource manager to commit changes associated with the specific LUWID for this app. Each resource manager will communicate to the transaction manager that it has committed its changes. If any of the resource managers cannot (for whatever reason) commit, then the transaction manager will direct the resource managers to roll back (backout) the changes.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Equivalent in .NET? Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mdfaraz wrote:
Quote:
Here the qmgr will act as transaction manager and as such needs to know about the XA resource, hence this statement.

Why don't I see this method in my .NET QueueManager class (amqmdnet.dll)
I dont get why 2 way commit in .NET/SQL server DB is so different from Java/DB2.

That's because the .NET model does not work the same way.
You will need to use the MSTC Transaction manager and enroll both MSSQL and WMQ as resources in the transaction.

Read up on the using .NET manual.
Sandman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

This isn't specific to SQL Server, but a general question about how a resource manager (DB2) works with a transaction coordinator (MQ).

If app does MQPUT and DB2 insert, then breakpoint at MQCMT. While at breakpoint, I taskkill all MQ processes (to simulate queue manager dying). Then I step over MQCMT. As expected, app catches exception and logs, but doesn't attempt backout (seeing it knows qmgr is gone).

How and when (if ever) does DB2 realize that it can cleanup the uncommitted thread? We're seeing that it just hangs onto it and we have to kill it.

Am I missing something? Thank you.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Yes. You are describing a Unit of Work, or Unit of Recovery. WMQ can participate in UofW's in several ways. And, yes, DB2 can also be a participant in a UofW.

And, yes, there are administrative things you must do to enable this.

This is nicely documented in the InfoCenter.
Sandman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

I understand the UOW and we actually have the two-phased commit (and backout) configured and working properly.

I'm asking if/when/how DB2 cleans up orphaned threads that were launched as part of a 2PC UOW but whose transaction coordinator has gone away. When the queue manager comes back, would it communicate to DB2 to tell it to release the lock? (It doesn't seem to.) Or must we configure DB2 to timeout locked threads after some interval?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The queue manager is only involved to the extent that it is either participating in or managing the 2pc.

If the DB thread is not being released, then it's likely that the application itself hasn't released the thread. So see what happens when you actually quit the application - either forcefully or gracefully.
Sandman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Tried that. Stopping app still didn't release DB2 thread.

I just found this in another thread:
Quote:
If you restart your qmgr, all transactions that are not committed or prepared (ie. have completed 1st phase of the 2 phase commit) are rolled back.

http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52065

So seeing my app was stopped at the MQCMT before I killed MQ, DB2 hadn't yet "asked" DB2 to prepare to commit. So would this uncommitted DB2 transaction also be rolled back on qmgr restart?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Yes.
Sandman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Seeing I posted this question in two places and it's being answered in both, I'm going to focus back on my original thread:http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=324069#324069

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Multiphase Commit » Is WebSphere MQ 7.0 compatible with SQL Server 2008
Jump to: