ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Set up the self signed SSL test process

Set up the self signed SSL test process « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
apk007
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Set up the self signed SSL test process Reply with quote

Apprentice

I would like to know the process to set up the SSL with the self signed. What do i need to do on the IBM Key management , MQ Explorer and Client side.

The IBM documentation is not very details enough.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Set up the self signed SSL test process Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

apk007 wrote:
I would like to know the process to set up the SSL with the self signed.

It's pretty much the process in the documentation

apk007 wrote:
The IBM documentation is not very details enough.

Which parts did you consider incomplete?

(I do accept that it is spread a little, with both the Security & Clients manuals having useful information for you. Though I'm not sure why you're specifically asking about MQExplorer...)

You might also find some of the posts on the forum deal with specific areas of concern that you have. SSL is a popluar topic here.
apk007
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

What i have read throguh is following links.
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/webservers/httpservers/doc/v1312/ibm/9atikeyu.htm#HDRKMU3G

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.mq.explorer.doc/e_ssl_ikeymangui.htm

They are not details enough what i need to do in client side and server side. How i need to genrate the public keys and stuff.
apk007
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/techjournal/0901_mismes/0901_mismes.html

I also find some documentation under "Configuration weaknesses". It is not very detail enough
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

apk007 wrote:
How i need to genrate the public keys and stuff.

That's in the links you yourself posted, and the Security manual that the 2nd link refers you to.
apk007
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Create a key database for the client and generate the corresponding certificate.
Create a key database for the server and generate the corresponding certificate.
Extract public keys from each of the certificates.
Import the public key of the client into the server's key database.
Import the public key of the server into the client's key database.
Enable SSLCIPH and set SSLCAUTH(REQUIRED) on the channels between the client and server.

If i look at this the steps are not very clear. Do u have any details steps around this which will help me.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

1. Create a key store for the queue manager.
2. Create a self-signed certificate in that key store*.
3. Extract a copy of the certificate from the key store.

4. Create a key store for the client.
5. Create a self-signed certificate in that key store*.
6. Extract a copy of the certificate from the key store.

* Pay particular attention to the label name of the certificates, particularly that of the client, which must be ibmwebspheremqclientuserid where clientuserid is the name of the account under which the client will run.

7. Add the copy of the client certificate to the key store of the queue manager, and the copy of the queue manager certificate to the key store of the client.

8. Set the SSLKEYR attribute of the queue manager to the path and file name of the queue manager key store and refresh security type(ssl)**.
9. Set the environment variable MQSSLKEYR to the path and file name of the client key store**.

** File names must be in stem format, i.e. with NO file extension.

10. Create your SVRCONN and CLNTCONN channels with NO SSL ATTRIBUTES SET.
11. Test connectivity and if successful proceed to the next step, or if unsuccessful fix until it works - do NOT try to go further until you have successfully achieved a connection.
12. Set the appropriate SSL attributes on the SVRCONN and CLNTCONN channels and retest.

Using the iKeyman GUI will make your life easier (at first anyway) and MQExplorer takes away the pain of setting the MQSSLKEYR environment variable.

That's your first fish (well, more of a whale really) but if you don't know how to set up the environment for a client you're pretty much screwed from step 10 onwards anyway.

If you can't combine the above information with that of the manuals, and the advice of the venerable Vitor to dig through the Security forum, then I'd hazard you need to understand more about SSL and how it works generally before you start trying to apply it to WMQ.

Enjoy...
apk007
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

i found better manual. Which is prety good, and i am to slove the issue

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp4140.pdf

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Set up the self signed SSL test process
Jump to: