ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » I'm sending an ObjectMessage but receiving a JMSBytesMessage

I'm sending an ObjectMessage but receiving a JMSBytesMessage « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
buckrodgers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: I'm sending an ObjectMessage but receiving a JMSBytesMessage Reply with quote

I'm sending an ObjectMessage to a local queue, however my MDB is reading a JMSBytesMessage. Isn't there a way to get this message as an ObjectMessage ?

I'm using WAS 7 and MQ 6
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm sending an ObjectMessage but receiving a JMSBytesMes Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

buckrodgers wrote:
Isn't there a way to get this message as an ObjectMessage ?

a) My Java sucks so I'm not entirely certain (!)
b) No I don't think there is
c) My understanding is that it's considered best practice to serialise / deserialize Java objects for transmission anyway

Someone who doesn't suffer from a) above will be along shortly, and they may correct either b) or c)
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You can cast it to an ObjectMessage, of course.

But how do you know you have the necessary versions of the classes that were used to build the ObjectMessage in the first place?

What happens if you need to send the same information to a consumer that is not written in Java?

ObjectMessages are extremely unportable.
buckrodgers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

The app that is the producer is also the consumer so everything should be the same when getting the message back and processing it.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

buckrodgers wrote:
The app that is the producer is also the consumer so everything should be the same when getting the message back and processing it.

We all hope this happy fact remains true for the life of this design.
manicminer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: I'm sending an ObjectMessage but receiving a JMSBytesMes Reply with quote

Disciple

Vitor wrote:
buckrodgers wrote:
Isn't there a way to get this message as an ObjectMessage ?

a) My Java sucks so I'm not entirely certain (!)
b) No I don't think there is
c) My understanding is that it's considered best practice to serialise / deserialize Java objects for transmission anyway

Someone who doesn't suffer from a) above will be along shortly, and they may correct either b) or c)

I agree with c)

Don't use object messages, transform your data into some intermediate format (xml is popular) and use that. This provides much better interoperability as apps other than java can read the data (e.g. message broker could do content based routing on your xml if required) and avoids all the contact admin Java serialisation pitfalls that will almost certainly bite you at some point in the applications lifetime!

Side note: In theory serialised objects should be fine, but one day someone will add a field to your object without considering the serialisation impact. Or will create a new object and forget to specify the serial UID. Or will add a field that is not serialisable etc.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

buckrodgers wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that's certainly true today.

Tomorrow, when someone else needs a copy of the message, or when for performance reasons the producer component gets moved to a separate machine from the consumer component, and then gets upgraded separately...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » I'm sending an ObjectMessage but receiving a JMSBytesMessage
Jump to: