ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » WMB/WMQ and Multi Instance storage NFS/GPFS constraint

WMB/WMQ and Multi Instance storage NFS/GPFS constraint « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
alexl
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: WMB/WMQ and Multi Instance storage NFS/GPFS constraint Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm working on creation of HA environment built on WMB 7. (Two servers/Nodes in the beginning)
My question is about the shared storage constraint it can be NFS v4 or GPFS only.
Does anyone designed/created HA (Active/Active) environment based on internal mi option with active/standby? (I want to achieve the Active/Active by cross definition of the MQ/WMB instances).

Which shared storage option you suggest? If NFS which HA solution better to define. I want Active/Active solution for NFS too.

Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Not directly answering your question (as I've no direct experience to offer) but I do know there have been a number of recent discussions on NFS / multi-instance that you might find useful & I recommend them to you.

Someone with more relevent comments will probably be along in a minute.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Quote:
My question is about the shared storage constraint it can be NFS v4 or GPFS only.

If I remember correctly, only NFSv4 was mentioned in the multi-instance queue managers presentations. Both enable some degree of shared disk storage.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

My understanding is that the requirement for multi-instance is "reliable file locking".

NFS only provides this under version 4 or later, so you need NFSV4.

But you don't need NFS per se. Just some file sharing technology that passes the tests that amqmfsck runs - http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0/topic/com.ibm.mq.amqzag.doc/fa15575_.htm

At least, that's my understanding. mvic may disagree.
markt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

mqjeff is correct
mvic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: WMB/WMQ and Multi Instance storage NFS/GPFS constraint Reply with quote

Jedi

alexl wrote:
Which shared storage option you suggest? If NFS which HA solution better to define. I want Active/Active solution for NFS too.

Please say precisely what you mean by active/active in this scenario.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

This Webinar is tomorrow.

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/websphere/support/TE/techex_Q574466T75656D82.html

WebSphere Technical Exchange Webcast
WebSphere Message® Broker V7 introduces a new concept of the multi-instance brokers that help users configure their high availability environments. This session focuses on the list of items that customers have to follow to create and configure the multi-instance queue manager and brokers.
alexl
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please say precisely what you mean by active/active in this scenario.

mvic I want the NFS servers to be clustered and HA, don't want to have single point of failure.

Quote:
But you don't need NFS per se. Just some file sharing technology that passes the tests that amqmfsck runs - http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0/topic/com.ibm.mq.amqzag.doc/fa15575_.htm

mqjeff what about the remark from the info center

Quote:
The amqmfsck command applies only to UNIX and IBM® i systems.

I will try to check this. Because really I find it annoying to put more parts in the architecture like the NFS, why can it use XIV/EMC shard storage solution. I will try to run the amqmfsck from RHAT 5.3 with XIV shared disk. will update.

Thank You.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

alexl wrote:
mqjeff what about the remark from the info center

Quote:
The amqmfsck command applies only to UNIX and IBM® i systems.

I will try to check this. Because really I find it annoying to put more parts in the architecture like the NFS, why can it use XIV/EMC shard storage solution. I will try to run the amqmfsck from RHAT 5.3 with XIV shared disk. will update.

RHAT 5.3 is a UNIX system.

The remark was very very clear, I thought. There's another statement that says you specifically don't need it on Windows, so this means that any network shared storage on Windows should be supported.

And of course, you'd never bother doing this on plain Z, you'd just use zed-normal HA mechanisms. You know, because they're better. And zed-Linux is still a Unix system.
alexl
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.
my mistake.
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I've always regarded a single mainframe to be as good (or better) than a HA/CMP AIX cluster anyway in reliability terms.

If you're super paranoid then parallel sysplex can be used.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » WMB/WMQ and Multi Instance storage NFS/GPFS constraint
Jump to: