ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » WebSphere MQ user activity monitoring for Windows OS

WebSphere MQ user activity monitoring for Windows OS « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
watlerfore
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: WebSphere MQ user activity monitoring for Windows OS Reply with quote

We have a new need for the ability to "monitor" our WMQ v6.0 middle tier servers for any kind of interactive logons taking place in regards to the WebSphere MQ. Can any suggest a tool that might be able to provide the timestamp, ip address of the person logging on, their id and what kind of activity they did with WMQ such as browsed a queue, check a channel status, queue status etc... We do have BMC patrol monitoring the QMGR's, queues and channels themselfs but I'm unaware if we could use that in some way.
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Switch on Events, but if you allow your people to su to mqm then you are going to have a real problem collating who did what as that account, and it will be an even worse nightmare if they log in interactively as mqm. Consider using mqm only as a service account and or creating additional mqm-group accounts that are assigned to individuals.

EDIT: Doh! It's Windows

Last edited by exerk on Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

The free exit BlockIP2 can be installed and will log MQ client connections. It won't provide a direct link to actions done, but it helps.

However the key is to reduce the access granted so that you are not so concerned about "after the event", because you only allow the actions which are appropriate for each user role.

In other words, implement MQ security properly on a granular (group based) level instead of allowing peple mqm access rights (unless they really are MQ admins).
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

If all you want to do is log channel activity, there's no reason to mess with the rest of the complexities of BlockIPv2.

Just use MA0Z, http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=171&uid=swg24022993&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

BlockIP2 with no additional configuration will just log to /var/mqm/exits and automatically keep a cycle of the log files.

Just copy the executable binary to /var/mqm/exits64 and set the name in the channel security exit something like this:

Code:
ALTER CHANNEL(XXX) chltype(SVRCONN) SCYDATA('-i +b') SCYEXIT('BlockIP2(BlockExit)')
watlerfore
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more important to log if a particular user id has browsed a queue, deleted the messages, possibly moving the messages - the report should log this activity even if it's a WMQ Admin or not - we have a need to know who has performed these functions on the server - this is for the PCI requirements to secure the data.

Operating system - Windows 2003
WMQ v.6.0.2
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

watlerfore wrote:
moving the messages

You can't move messages on Windows, only z/OS

watlerfore wrote:
the report should log this activity even if it's a WMQ Admin or not

If you're logging every user id that's browsing or deleting a message every time they do it that's going to be a long report. Every application does that.

watlerfore wrote:
this is for the PCI requirements to secure the data.

This doesn't secure the data. This just tells you what happened to it. Securing the data requires different thinking and set up.
watlerfore
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely - this will not secure data - it seems more along the lines of "big brother" to me - however, there is a need so we are trying to accommodate. I also suspect that a monitoring log would be huge in relationship to this thread.

Let me ask in a different way - does Windows log this kind of activity in the Event and security logs already?

Would Tripwire Enterprise Agent be able to filter this information?
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

watlerfore wrote:
Let me ask in a different way - does Windows log this kind of activity in the Event and security logs already?

No. Even the queue manager doesn't raise event messages unless specifically configured to do so (as mentioned earlier in the post). Be aware that all this logging will have an impact on performance (one of the reasons the queue manager doesn't log it by default).

watlerfore wrote:
Would Tripwire Enterprise Agent be able to filter this information?

No idea. Never heard of it.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

(All of this is easily done on WMQ for z/OS, with SMF statistics and accounting records.)
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
(All of this is easily done on WMQ for z/OS, with SMF statistics and accounting records.)

Well yes, but I somehow doubt the OP will be able to swing a migration from Windows to z/OS on the strength of improved auditability alone....
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Of course... but it's stuff like this (and security, automation, high-availability, etc.) that is normally excluded from platform choice discussions and decisions, but becomes an afterthought. The OP asks for something that was available 30+ years ago on big iron.
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

bruce2359 wrote:
Of course... but it's stuff like this (and security, automation, high-availability, etc.) that is normally excluded from platform choice discussions and decisions, but becomes an afterthought. The OP asks for something that was available 30+ years ago on big iron.

Agreed, however I cannot envisage any enterprise sanctioning a re-platform to z/OS for something that will run on a thin-and-crispy. Just because one requirement of an application is available on 'big iron' is not enough of a driver or justification to for putting it on that platform.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

exerk wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:

Agreed, however I cannot envisage any enterprise sanctioning a re-platform to z/OS for something that will run on a thin-and-crispy. Just because one requirement of an application is available on 'big iron' is not enough of a driver or justification to for putting it on that platform.

I think we can all agree that z/OS is the best platform for scaleability, high availability, security, automation and just being better.

But this does not help the OP one iota.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Whoa! I'm outnumbered. I made my seemingly harmless comment (parenthetically) for those who might not be familiar with the cost-benefit of z. z was not offered as a solution for this particular OP.

I am slinking away, tail between my legs...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » WebSphere MQ user activity monitoring for Windows OS
Jump to: