ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » View mqsisetdbparms

View mqsisetdbparms « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Sosed
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

dominik.schweers wrote:
On Solaris I found these settings in the filesystem. I don't remember exactly, sorry. I think it was something like

/var/mqsi/registry/<brokername>/DSN/

After DSN there are directories for every Database Alias with special settings. Perhaps you should look for this in your filesystem. Maybe on Windows the Windows Registry is used?

Hello, everybody.

WMB 7.0.0.2 on RHEL. I have found this values at /var/mqsi/registry/<brokername>/CurrentVersion/DSN. User name stores in plane text. Password is encrypted. What kind of encription is it?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Sosed wrote:
dominik.schweers wrote:
On Solaris I found these settings in the filesystem. I don't remember exactly, sorry. I think it was something like

/var/mqsi/registry/<brokername>/DSN/

After DSN there are directories for every Database Alias with special settings. Perhaps you should look for this in your filesystem. Maybe on Windows the Windows Registry is used?

Hello, everybody.

WMB 7.0.0.2 on RHEL. I have found this values at /var/mqsi/registry/<brokername>/CurrentVersion/DSN. User name stores in plane text. Password is encrypted. What kind of encription is it?

It's not encrypted.

It's obfuscated.

Don't read these files.

Don't try and recover passwords from these files.

Don't rely on these files to provide the only layer of security on this password. Make sure the system is providing os-layer security on who can log in and who can access these files to the appropriate users.

And UPGRADE TO A NEWER FIXPACK.
Sosed
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

mqjeff, thanks for your reply

mqjeff wrote:

I don't need to recover password, I want to prevent it's recovery.

mqjeff wrote:
It's obfuscated.

Does it described at IBM official materials? I have not found something about obfuscation for mqsisetdbparms command.

I have found this information: for security profiles password (If OBFUSCATE is selected) appears in base64 encoding. Does mqsisetdbparms use the same way?

mqjeff wrote:
Don't rely on these files to provide the only layer of security on this password. Make sure the system is providing os-layer security on who can log in and who can access these files to the appropriate users.

We have os-layer security.

mqjeff wrote:
And UPGRADE TO A NEWER FIXPACK.

Thanks for your advise!
AndreasMartens
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Password obfuscation Reply with quote

Acolyte

Quote:
Does it described at IBM official materials? I have not found something about obfuscation for mqsisetdbparms command.

No it's not described. It's an in-house developed algorithm.

Quote:
I have found this information: for security profiles password (If OBFUSCATE is selected) appears in base64 encoding. Does mqsisetdbparms use the same way?

No, the security profile based obfuscation is different.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Sosed wrote:
mqjeff, thanks for your reply

mqjeff wrote:

I don't need to recover password, I want to prevent it's recovery.

Good. Excellent! most people asking about these files want to recover the password from them.
Sosed wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

We have os-layer security.

Then you have prevented recovery of the password from these files, by ensuring that only the correct and authorized user (i.e. exactly and only the broker service user) can get at them.

You have likewise perhaps taken steps to make sure the broker file system is stored on a file system that is encrypted at the storage layer (below the OS layer) so that if someone acquires physical access to the storage media, you are not compromised that way. But that would depend heavily on the security requirements of your installation.
EKhalil
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Has anyone tried to decrypt UserId.dat ? Reply with quote

Voyager

Quote: "13. What database credential did I configure for database access?
The username configured on the broker to access a database can be found in the following file:

<MQSI_WORKPATH>/registry/<BKName>/CurrentVersion/<DSN> directory or directory with odbc or jdbc prefix>/UserId.dat

The password is in file Password.dat in the same directory, however it is encrypted so it is not possible to find out what password you configured."
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vote for this RFE to get this LONG standing requirement hopefully actioned

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=50844

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » View mqsisetdbparms
Jump to: