ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » How to setup a QMgr connected by CICS in diff LPARs

How to setup a QMgr connected by CICS in diff LPARs « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
bay hoe san
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: How to setup a QMgr connected by CICS in diff LPARs Reply with quote

Centurion

Hello,

1. I have created 6 LPARs (say we name it P1, P2, P3, P4, P5 & P6) in a sysplex environment. I have MQs in individual LPAR and CICSes in individual LPAR too. However, individual CICSes is not CICSPlex enabled.
2. Understand that 1 CICS can be connected to 1 qmgr in that LPAR where the CICS and MQ reside and 1 qmgr can be connected to > 1 CICS also in that LPAR where the CICS and MQ reside.
3. What are the requirements for setting up 1 QMgr which can be connected from CICSes from each LPAR? I have only 6 LPARs sysplex environment and no CICSPlex.
i.e. CICS1 in P1, CICS2 in P2, CICS3 in P3, CICS4 in P4, CICS5 in P5 & CICS6 in P6. 1 QMgr.
How to connect CICS1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 to that Qmgr?
Which LPAR does that qmgr resides?

Pls advise.
Thank you.

.Hoe San.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

The qmgr does not reside in ANY CICS partition.
The CICS partition can and will talk only to 1 qmgr
There is nothing IMHO to prevent you from acquiring the resources for the same qmgr in each of your 6 CICS partitions. However where triggers are concerned you better have one initiation queue per CICS + 1 for all CICS partitions. If that one is used, each running CICS partitions needs to attach a trigger monitor to that queue. And it is first come, first served...
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: How to setup a QMgr connected by CICS in diff LPARs Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bay hoe san wrote:
3. What are the requirements for setting up 1 QMgr which can be connected from CICSes from each LPAR? I have only 6 LPARs sysplex environment and no CICSPlex.

How are your bridging the LPARs? Are you sure that's a wise decision? Or even possible?
bay hoe san
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Hello,

1. Thanks for the updates.
2. BTW, what does IMHO means?
3. Let's say the qmgr Q1 resides in LPAR P1 and is sysplex enabled. How to setup 6 CICSes in 6 different LPAR to be connected to Q1 which resides in P1?
Possible? i.e. can CICS2 in LPAR P2 het connected to qmgr Q1 which resides in LPAR P1?
Pls enlighten. Thanks.

.Hoe San.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bay hoe san wrote:
1. Thanks for the updates.

You're welcome.

bay hoe san wrote:
2. BTW, what does IMHO means?

In My Humble Opinion - typically used to indicate the poster is expressing an opinion rather than quoting fact.

bay hoe san wrote:
3. Let's say the qmgr Q1 resides in LPAR P1 and is sysplex enabled. How to setup 6 CICSes in 6 different LPAR to be connected to Q1 which resides in P1?
Possible? i.e. can CICS2 in LPAR P2 het connected to qmgr Q1 which resides in LPAR P1?

IMHO you'll do better if you answer our questions than just keep repeating yours. I ask again how you're bridging the LPARs (something I wasn't aware was possible), why you're doing this and what exactly is the requirement?
bay hoe san
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

1. Thanks for info.
2. 6 LPARs are in a sysplex environment, linked by CF, they shared a common DASD & RACF etc except CICSes are not CICSPlex enabled in the environment. These requirement is posed by customers to save cost on MQ setup i.e. 1 qmgr in 1 of 6 LPARs which can be accessed by 6 existing CICSes in different LPARs. Possible?
3. Pls guide.
Thank you.

.Hoe San.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bay hoe san wrote:
2. 6 LPARs are in a sysplex environment, linked by CF, they shared a common DASD & RACF etc except CICSes are not CICSPlex enabled in the environment. These requirement is posed by customers to save cost on MQ setup i.e. 1 qmgr in 1 of 6 LPARs which can be accessed by 6 existing CICSes in different LPARs. Possible?

Urgh - you need a PMR or a passing IBMer! I see what they're doing, it's novel and I have doubts you could run a queue manager sub system like that. I'd speak to the site sys progs, set up a queue manager running like they've got RACF (however they've managed that!) and see if you can establish a link to the non-resident CICS.

Then raise a PMR and ask for help!

I'm still uncertain what your client gains from different LPARs arranged like this, but it's obviously someone's good idea. Do post how it works out for you.
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

You can link a MQ enabled CICS region to a non-MQ enabled CICS region with the usual CICS connectivity options.

The non-MQ enabled CICS region can execute CICS transactions that do not make MQI calls.

However you cannot execute any CICS transaction which makes a MQI call unless MQ is running in the LPAR concerned. In this sense the non-MQ CICS region is not directly connected to MQ.
kevinf2349
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

What cost savings?

If they are all on the same machine (even if they are in different LPARs on that machine) the cost is the same regardless of how many queue managers you have and in what LPARs they reside.

If you are on usage based cost then the cost will be the same (just all in one big bucket).

If the LPARs are on different machines the CAF may hep provide an answer for you but we don't run it here so maybe someone with experience with it can speak to it better than I can.
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

z/OS can accept MQ client connections, but cannot act as a MQ client.

Sub-capacity licensing could allow only the LPAR (and only the number of CPUs in the LPAR) with MQ installed to be chargeable, this depends on your license deal with IBM.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
z/OS can accept MQ client connections, but cannot act as a MQ client.

Providing the CAF is active. While I'm sure you knew that, I point it out as a future warning to those used to a distributed platform queue manager which accepts client connections without additional components.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » How to setup a QMgr connected by CICS in diff LPARs
Jump to: