ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Process Server (WID/WPS/WAS+) » tivoli vs ITCAM

tivoli vs ITCAM « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jeevan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: tivoli vs ITCAM Reply with quote

Grand Master

I know both of these TIvoli family of products are monitoring tools for Application infrstructure. I would be grateful if some one can give me some idea about their differences , and suitability for MQ and WAS ?

thanks

Last edited by jeevan on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
SAFraser
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

ITCAM is a product in the Tivoli family. ITCAM purports to track transactions end-to-end. My experience with it was not particularly favorable as it relates to MQ because, although there is an ITCAM agent for MQ, it can't see MQ as a part of the end-to-end transaction; it sees MQ as a sort of standalone component in the infrastructure.

(That's how it was for our proof-of-concept anyway; perhaps others on the forum have been more successful.)

The Tivoli family also includes real-time monitoring. OMEGAMON is the component for MQ, and competes with contact admin and QPasa.

Your monitoring requirement needs to be defined, and then you could choose the Tivoli toolset that satisfies your need. Just like the WebSphere suite, the Tivoli suite includes many different products.
jeevan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

SAFraser wrote:
ITCAM is a product in the Tivoli family. ITCAM purports to track transactions end-to-end. My experience with it was not particularly favorable as it relates to MQ because, although there is an ITCAM agent for MQ, it can't see MQ as a part of the end-to-end transaction; it sees MQ as a sort of standalone component in the infrastructure.

(That's how it was for our proof-of-concept anyway; perhaps others on the forum have been more successful.)

The Tivoli family also includes real-time monitoring. OMEGAMON is the component for MQ, and competes with contact admin and QPasa.

Your monitoring requirement needs to be defined, and then you could choose the Tivoli toolset that satisfies your need. Just like the WebSphere suite, the Tivoli suite includes many different products.

Thank you for your prompt reply. So far we are using Patrol for MQ but there is not any monitoring tools for WAS. We are discussing possibility for using monitoring tool for WAS and therefore, I am trying to understand these products.

As we are introudcing, our need is very simple just the folloing:

JVM Memory Consumption,
Web Container Thread Pool Usage,
Database and Connection Pool Usage,
Prepared Statement Usage.
Servlet Average Response time.
CPU Usage

Also, we would definitely prefer to have single product for both MQ and WAS if possible.

Based on the above scenario, and my understanding of Tivoli family of product for monitoirng special for WAS and MQ.

does ITM 6.1 has component for MQ and WAS( I think so)
you said, omegamon is the component for MQ, what exactly do you mean ? The 4 layers - Tivoli Express, ITM, ITCAM and Omegamon all have compoments for all(MQ and WAS) and their cap vary or one is for MQ and the other for WAS and so on?

I know ITM has components for MQ and WAS but I am not aware of ITCAM. Is ITCAM mainly for application ( not for MQ)
what about Omegamon? does it have components for both MQ and WAS?

I would be grateful, if you could share your experiencs.

thanks
SAFraser
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

Let me say a disclaimer first. My experience with ITM as well as ITCAM is slightly more than proof-of-concept, but not much. I have implemented neither one across an enterprise.

When I worked with ITM a few years ago (I can't remember which version, I think it was an early version of 6.0), I recollect it as a product for hardware/OS monitoring. It could do all sorts of tricks in alerts and data collection, but it was definitely intended as a tool for server admins.

In 2004, IBM bought Candle which was one of the big competitors in MQ monitoring software. They rolled the product into Tivoli as "OMEGAMON". As such, it remains a major competitor in this market.

I do not know if OMEGAMON also offers WAS monitoring. But one thing about the Tivoli suite of products is that many of them can be rolled into a single console, so even it if it a different Tivoli component, you may be able to manage them from a single screen.

You are right about ITCAM. It is intended to monitor performance of a distributed application. It would more likely be of interest to your stress test or performance team, rather than to a middleware admin.

MQSoftware's QPasa now makes agents for WAS that monitor the types of things you list. (We use QPasa for MQ monitoring.) Sadly, I have not been able to get my management to consider purchase of the WAS agents for QPasa, so I haven't any experience to share about that.

The thing to watch for as you read about these different products is that you want real-time monitoring, not transaction tracking. Omegamon-yes. ITCAM-no. QPasa-yes. QNami-no. That sort of thing.

Good luck! What fun, to be able to pick a new product!

Shirley
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

I believe the latest (Tivoli (Omegamon?) for messaging is on /opt/IBM/ITM/bin....

As well QPasa's Was agents have all the (JMX?) hookups for WAS monitoring. They will monitor whatever you turn on. Should be interesting.
Talk to the respective vendors if you want demos... I'm sure they'll oblige...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Process Server (WID/WPS/WAS+) » tivoli vs ITCAM
Jump to: