ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Challenge Forum » Challenge Question - 06 / 2008

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Challenge Question - 06 / 2008 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
samgunddi
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

we faced a similar issue, a qmgr crashed with lack of disk space. There was no way we could bring up the qmgrs "QUICKLY" with out loosing message. The volume group hosting the log disk had no additional space. The rdcmqimg even with -t qmgr option was displaying that the qmgr needed an oldest log file available for media recovery.

We came up with an interesting but simple solution (not in prd yet):

- Create a dummy file (big enough) in the log disk, to have working room.
- In case of a similar qmgr crash, delete the dummy file. Which brings up the qmgr.
- Stop all the channels, stop all the apps putting messages to the qmgr.
- remove and backup the messages from queues.
- the rcdmqimg will release the old logs.

The idea is to throttle the message with out loosing or damaging mq objects. We are at version 602 , there is a recorded APAR by IBM they recommend to upgrade the maintenance level http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=171&uid=swg1IY96630

I believe there has to be a better solution to limit the number of linear logs created, so the qmgr will not crash. My be the qmgr will not accept any message from apps. IBM recommends using linear logs over circular logs. Hope IBM with come with some thing to address this scenario.

Any suggestion are most welcome.
Nigelg
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Buy a bigger disk.

What has this got to do with IBM?
Calculate for yourself the size the log is going to grow to, and allocate sufficient disk space accordingly.
Challenger
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

That's a good idea, sort of like a "reserve tank" - how did you size the dummy file - 1 or "n" times the size of one logfile?
Challenger
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Quote:
What has this got to do with IBM?

IBM do recommend linear logging (which I personally disagree with, as a better solution is to use RAID to preserve disk integrity) but provide next to no tools for managing them. MS62 is written by a third-party company/consultant - it's only at version 6 that a command existed to interrogate active log filenames!
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Challenger wrote:
That's a good idea, sort of like a "reserve tank" - how did you size the dummy file - 1 or "n" times the size of one logfile?

We use a 1GB dummy file, nice round number. You should also have your disk space monitored so you get emails when the dir is getting full and a page when the drive is getting really close to filling up. If your only alerting is happening after you're QM is down you need better monitoring in place, big time.
Nigelg
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Quote:
IBM do recommend linear logging

Where?
Challenger
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Quote:
Quote:
IBM do recommend linear logging

Where?

MQ Sys Admin guide - chapter 14 - Recovery and restart - Linear Logging:

Quote:
Use linear logging if you want both restart recovery and media or forward recovery (recreating lost or damaged data by replaying the contents of the log).

AFAIK these same words have been spoken since the mid-nineties - when RAID disks weren't in common use. Use the base OS for media recovery, not this half-hearted attempt that was pinched from DB2 anyway
Challenger
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Quote:
You should also have your disk space monitored so you get emails when the dir is getting full and a page when the drive is getting really close to filling up.

This is a good idea Peter. I did implement a method that would kick an archive and purge off when the disk was 60% full, and we also had a cron job running every two hours that would do the same. Can anyone spot the problem that could (and did) occur there?
harwinderr
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

I faced a similar problem where the log file system was full and the Perl script will not work because the AMQ7467 & AMQ7468 messages were over-written. What we did was:

a) Move the oldest log files to a file system which has disk space and create symbolic links to them in the qmgr log directory. We used a script to do this and moved the log files till we had about 50% free disk space.

b) Run rcdmqimg to get a AMQ7467/68 message recorded.

c) Immediately after that run the Perl script to archive the old log files that are no longer needed.

The good thing about this technique was there was no outage of qmgr required.

Quote:
This is a good idea Peter. I did implement a method that would kick an archive and purge off when the disk was 60% full, and we also had a cron job running every two hours that would do the same. Can anyone spot the problem that could (and did) occur there?

Maybe, by the time your cron job started the disk space was already full. Or there was more disk space required to take a media dump. This can happen if there are still a huge number of messages sitting on the queues.
Challenger
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi harwinderr

I like this idea - using sym links which take up no space. And it didn't involve an outage. Nice one!

The cron job .vs. run when 60% full actually both ran at the same time - the rcdmqimg seemed to work OK but it crashed the Tivoli archiving utility - so in the end I build checks to prevent more than one occurrence running at the same time
Challenger
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: And the winner is...... Reply with quote

Centurion

...not one, but three!

First bburson for spotting the cause of the problem within minutes of the challenge being posted

Second, harwinderr for a novel and potentially brilliant way of fixing the problem with no downtime or outage - any chance you could post that script?

And last, but not least, nigelg for the "most defensive posts" category

Please private message Mehrdad with your mailing address.

And finally, who am I?
bbburson
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Cool! Thanks.

I guess SAFraser as the original poster. Just a hunch; probably way off base.

By the way, my answer appeared so quickly after the question was posed because I had to deal with this exact thing not once but twice over the course of several years. Unfortunately it was pre-version6 and the queue manager could not tell me which logs were no longer needed. I had to resort to the sledge hammer approach and deleted several of the older files until I got enough space to get a good rcdmqimg. Not the best thing, I know. Wish I'd thought of harwinderr's method back then.
Challenger
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

SAFraser - no, wrong continent - but close
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

The man of the double trout ( )?
Challenger
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Sorry, you've got me there - the reference went completely over my head.

No trouts in my family at all.

OK here's a clue - I'm a UK citizen but not resident, while the UK is mostly flat (sorry Scotland) and is surrounded by water, the LAND I live in is the exact opposite....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Page 2 of 3

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Challenge Forum » Challenge Question - 06 / 2008
Jump to: