ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere DataPower » Seeking understanding

Seeking understanding « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
hankknowles
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Seeking understanding Reply with quote

Centurion

Hello all:

I am a Tandem S/A and do not know about datapower other than we have started using them in our enterprise. The Tandem system has a MQ Qmanager that is getting beat to death by client connections coming from this appliance. In a slow seven hour period it opened and closed over 1200 client connections.

I am seeking any assistance in understanding how we can put a governor or threshold in place to throttle this thing back - the datapower group has 1 static session and allows 4 more dynamic sessions but is there a configuration parm that will allow only static # of client connections and no dynamic or is this just not part of the data power design?

TIA
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking understanding Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi,
hankknowles wrote:
In a slow seven hour period it opened and closed over 1200 client connections.

That's 2.85 connection requests per minute.

What's the problem? Are you saying that your server has a problem when it receives 1 connection request every 21 seconds (on average)? I think your server needs more hamsters.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

>That's 2.85 connection requests per minute.

I'd only get concerned if it there were that many per second!

It could be doing one connection per transaction or business operation. How long do they stay running for? I suspect just a second or so.

Ideally, MQ Client apps should use connection pooling, where they establish one (or a few) long running connection through which all the transactions flow. It saves resources and improves response time (for low-medium volumes).
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

gbaddeley wrote:
It could be doing one connection per transaction or business operation.

This is a common design / coding error.

If it's about 3 a minute in a slow period, what's the connection churn in a busy period? In terms of transaction, 100 times that speed I would consider fast in the average setup.

I'll echo my other associate by suggesting you need more or better hamsters.
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

I don't a Tandem (NSK?) is a small machine, so maybe there are just too many other hamsters in the same cage?

Could be the DataPower box is not pooling the connection and doing MQPUT1's all the time to the same Queue?

and it looks like IBM has not responded to your earlier requests... http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40931

MQSystems Facebook page
hankknowles
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Michael Dag wrote:
I don't a Tandem (NSK?) is a small machine, so maybe there are just too many other hamsters in the same cage?

Could be the DataPower box is not pooling the connection and doing MQPUT1's all the time to the same Queue?

and it looks like IBM has not responded to your earlier requests... http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40931

Correct Michael Tandem is far from a small system at all!! The datapower appliance is only doing GET's and taking the data and inserting the messages into an oracle DB on some other system. I have another client doing pooling from a WLS box and it may create and delete sessions once per 1/2 hour. While the appliance is continously opening and closing new sessions.

I have been told that the application will run just fine with two static sessions so I guess my question is invalid at this point!

Thanks to those who responded!

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere DataPower » Seeking understanding
Jump to: