ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » AMI limitations

AMI limitations « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
NWoodcock
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to choose whether to use the AMI API or one of the lower level APIs (MQI etc). I am attracted to the API, but perceive the following limitations:
1. Cannot pass MQMD context info (UserIdentifier, PutApplName, ApplOriginData) with a message put using amSendMsg. Security implications?
2. Not possible to specify one policy when initialising a session, but one or more different policies when doing subsequent message puts. (Strange, since both amInitialize and amSendMsg allow you to specify a policy name, but the latter seems to have no effect). Therefore all messages to a queue are subject to same policy: cannot overide default queue priority for example.
3. I can find little help on how to use policy handlers - sample code etc.

Can anyone confirm whether these are genuine limitations, or just down to my ignorance? If the latter, can anyone explain how to deal with these issues?
Many thanks - Neil
apowell
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil

The AMI does allow you to do these
1. Passing context: set the message context attribute in the general section of the policy to 'Pass Identity' or 'Pass all'. You need this set in the policy used to open the queue (which may be implicit) and sending the message if they are different.

2.In fact the opposite is true. There is no relationship between policies used on different calls so that you can use a different policy on every call if you want to. In particular the policy used to initialise the sesssion does not set up defaults for subsequent calls. Can you give examples of the behaviour you are seeing

3. There is a sample policy handler in C:Program FilesIBMMQSeriesamtsamplesChandlers
NWoodcock
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. In response to the 3 points (see lines labelled >>)....

1. Passing context: set the message context attribute in the general section of the policy to 'Pass Identity' or 'Pass all'. You need this set in the policy used to open the queue (which may be implicit) and sending the message if they are different.
>> but this still does not allow me to explicitly pass context (i.e there is no SetAllContext option, and neither the policies displayed in the AMI Admin Tool nor the API itself have context parameters.

2.In fact the opposite is true. There is no relationship between policies used on different calls so that you can use a different policy on every call if you want to. In particular the policy used to initialise the sesssion does not set up defaults for subsequent calls. Can you give examples of the behaviour you are seeing
>> I have now found that with the C and C++ object level APIs this is OK. However with the high level C API I still cannot get this to work. Could be my error.

3. There is a sample policy handler in C:Program FilesIBMMQSeriesamtsamplesChandlers
>> Indeed there is, but its usage is not immediately obvious. I was hoping to find an example somewhere which would help me manually set the context parameters (see 1)

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » AMI limitations
Jump to: