ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » Connecting to an MQ Server without MQ Client installed

Connecting to an MQ Server without MQ Client installed « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
darin.brown
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Vitor wrote:
darin.brown wrote:
there concern is the fact that the MQC install created a new group (mqm) in Windows which is against their policy. It seems silly but that's their policy and there's no getting around that (unless MQC can be installed without it creating a new group)

The client doesn't make any changes to local security; it's the server install that creates the new group. If the client install did that, it's because it was installed off the server install media and the server install was not de-selected.

This can be prevented by downloading the client from the IBM site. This doesn't contain the server software so this error can't occur.

I'm installing v7.0.1.3 of the client from this link:
https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=171&uid=swg24019253&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

which was referenced by the IBM XMS pre-reqs. I've tried installing both the typical (full) version as well as just a custom install with just the Windows Client selected but in both instances it creates an mqm group on my machine.

It does show up as "IBM Websphere MQ" in add/remove programs but the size is different if I just select the custom install with just Windows Client selected.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

darin.brown wrote:
I'm installing v7.0.1.3 of the client from this link:
https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=171&uid=swg24019253&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

Well that's the one I was thinking off.

darin.brown wrote:
I've tried installing both the typical (full) version as well as just a custom install with just the Windows Client selected but in both instances it creates an mqm group on my machine.

That's new for v7. I can't think of a good reason it would be doing that, but I imagine an IBMer will be along in a moment.

Sounds like you've got problems. Just for experimental purposes, what goes wrong if you delete the mqm group post-installation?
darin.brown
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

There doesn't appear to be any negative side effects if I just delete the mqm group post-install but our security folks don't accept that as a solution. Was hoping for an update from an IBM'er..
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Best answered from a PMR.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

darin.brown wrote:
Was hoping for an update from an IBM'er..

I have some doubts that security folks that strict are going to accept a response from "some bloke on the Internet who I'm sure works for IBM".

Raise a PMR, get a formal response, give that to your security people. Who knows, that might actually get you a solution...
darin.brown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

well, we opened a PMR and IBM says you must install the MQC on the machine if you're going to connect to MQ. Nevermind the fact that there are a few threads, including this one, that have been able to package the necessary dlls with their .NET deployment that doesn't require the MQC be installed on the client machines to function properly. I'm just having a hard time stumbling across the right combination that will work with our .NET4 clients..
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

darin.brown wrote:
well, we opened a PMR and IBM says you must install the MQC on the machine if you're going to connect to MQ. Nevermind the fact that there are a few threads, including this one, that have been able to package the necessary dlls with their .NET deployment that doesn't require the MQC be installed on the client machines to function properly. I'm just having a hard time stumbling across the right combination that will work with our .NET4 clients..

You can only do that if you restrict yourself to only use a "managed" connection.
You need also to be aware that there are some limitations to a managed connection. (It's all in the .NET manual... read it up)

And I am not sure that XMS will support (compile and run) using only the managed client libraries....
darin.brown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

The WebSphere MQ Classes for .NET referenced in the Using .NET section of the manual doesn't support true pub/sub though, right? In order to get new messages, the client would have to perform a get(). Whereas in XMS I can define a listener that automatically receives new messages when they are published to the topic.

if we are in fact tied to having to use XMS (in order to have true pub/sub without having to ask for new messages), has anyone got that to work without having to install the MQ Client on each of the client machines?
shashikanth_in
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

MQ .NET does not provide a way to receive messages asynchronously like XMS .NET does.

I always do an "install" of XMS .NET as it's assemblies sit in GAC.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

shashikanth_in wrote:
MQ .NET does not provide a way to receive messages asynchronously like XMS .NET does.

I always do an "install" of XMS .NET as it's assemblies sit in GAC.

Did you look at the asynchronous call back in V7?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » Connecting to an MQ Server without MQ Client installed
Jump to: