ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Archives - All » New: MQ Visual Edit v1.4.0

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 New: MQ Visual Edit v1.4.0 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: New: MQ Visual Edit v1.4.0 Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

All,

Capitalware Inc. would like to announce the official release of MQ Visual Edit v1.4.0.

This is a FREE upgrade for ALL licensed users of MQ Visual Edit.

Changes for MQ Visual Edit v1.4.0:
    New Features:
    - Added SSL support.
    - Added the ability to compare the contents of a message on a queue to a file (visual display with highlighting).
    - Added the ability to display a range of messages i.e. 1100 to 1200
    - Added support to print a message.
    - Added a Google Search Toolbar for quick searching.
    - Added a new Look and Feel (OfficeLnFs)
    - Fully tested and supported for Java v6
    - Fully tested and supported for Windows Vista Business

Updates/Fixes:
    - Fixed 'List of Queues' bug with WMQ v6 on z/OS
    - Fixed sorting problem on 'List of Queues' panel
    - Fixed Search Behavior Across Columns
    - Fixed MQMD COA & COD check box problem.
    - Fixed DLH Put-Application Type - only shows the code value rather than the constant name
    - Fixed RFH and missing User Folder
    - Fixed Export Message function having 'double backslashes' appear for the 'root' directory of any drive.
    - Fixed Export Message function not displaying error message if the 'to be exported' messages were no longer on the queue.

New MQ Visual Edit Tools:

1.) Queue Monitor Tool. It will display a list of queues that is being monitored. It auto-refreshes and the display is very smooth and flicker-free.
    Features:
    - User selectable refresh rate i.e. 60 or 30 or 10 seconds
    - The user can de-select the displaying of the SYSTEM queues (i.e. SYSTEM.*)
    - The displayed queue attributes are: Queue Name, Current Depth, Max Queue Depth, Open Input Count, Open Output Count, Get and Put.
    - The user can have multi windows open at the same time monitoring different queues of the same queue manager or monitoring of different queues of different queue managers at the same time.
    Quick visual helpers:
    - If the current queue depth is between 70% to 84.99% (of max queue depth) then it is highlighted in 'yellow'.
    - If the current queue depth is 85% or higher (of max queue depth) then it is highlighted in 'red'.
    - If either the Get or Put attributes are set to Inhibited then they are highlighted in 'yellow'.

2.) Queue Stats Monitor Tool. It will display the queue statistics for a list of queues.. It auto-refreshes and the display is very smooth and flicker-free.
    Features:
    - User selectable refresh rate i.e. 60 or 30 or 10 seconds
    - The user can de-select the displaying of the SYSTEM queues (i.e. SYSTEM.*)
    - The displayed queue attributes are: Queue Name, Put Rate (Enqueue rate), Get Rate (Dequeue rate), High Queue Depth during the interval, and Max Queue Depth.
    - The user can have multi windows open at the same time monitoring different queues of the same queue manager or monitoring of different queues of different queue managers at the same time.
    Quick visual helpers:
    - If the 'High Queue Depth' is between 70% to 84.99% (of max queue depth) then it is highlighted in 'yellow'.
    - If the 'High Queue Depth' is 85% or higher (of max queue depth) then it is highlighted in 'red'.

3.) Visual Difference Tool. It visually displays differences between 2 files.
    Features:
    - Compare a Message to a File
    - Compare a File to a File
    - Side-by-side visual display.
    - Differences are highlighted: green for inserts, red for deletions and blue for changes.
    - Dual scrolling windows.

4.) Text Editor Tool. It supports all standard editing capabilities including multi file editing using tabs.
    Features:
    - Open and edit multiple files (tab display)
    - Builtin XML Viewer
    - Standard features: Print, Save, Save As, Cut, Copy, Paste, Find and Find Next
    - Recent 'opened' file list

5.) Tail File Tool. It allows a user to monitored changes in files.
    Features:
    - Open and tail multiple files (tab display)
    - Ability to 'Follow' (user selectable) the file as the file grows / changes
    - Lastest changes are highlighted
    - Standard features: Print, Copy, Find and Find Next
    - Recent 'opened' file list

6.) Calendar Tool. It is a simple calendar that displays 3 months at a time.

For more information or to try out a 30-day trial version of MQ Visual Edit go to:
http://www.capitalware.biz/mqve_overview.html

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

Last edited by RogerLacroix on Sun May 06, 2007 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi Roger,
Options 1 and 2 could be interesting, do you also plan on adding these to MQ Visual Browse ?
Can the values be recorded in a file for historical / graph purposes?

MQSystems Facebook page
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Michael Dag wrote:
Options 1 and 2 could be interesting, do you also plan on adding these to MQ Visual Browse ?

Personally, I think option #3 (Visual Difference Tool) is the most interesting (ability to compare a message of a queue to a file is pretty cool). I'll add some more screenshots today.

After much discussion, I decided that MQ Visual Browse will continue as a product that has a single focus: Ability to securely browse messages on queues. This is the reason it was created.

Michael Dag wrote:
Can the values be recorded in a file for historical / graph purposes?

For the current version no. They were conceived as real-time monitoring instruments. I need to find out how people want to use these tools.

I also have 2 another widgets that I simply ran out of time to include for this release. Impact 2007 is in 2 weeks, so I need time to burn the CDs for the conference.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
Iguana5-0
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Upgrade problems? Reply with quote

I downloaded the "trial" version from the capitalware.biz website and installed on top of my 1.3.2 version. It only retained one of my queue managers, and the application believes itself to be a trial. I cannot find a place to put in my serial number to make this a full version.

Have I missed something with this upgrade? Do I need to go about upgrading in a different way?
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade problems? Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Iguana5-0 wrote:
I downloaded the "trial" version from the capitalware.biz website and installed on top of my 1.3.2 version. It only retained one of my queue managers, and the application believes itself to be a trial. I cannot find a place to put in my serial number to make this a full version.

Have I missed something with this upgrade? Do I need to go about upgrading in a different way?

Hi,

First off, you have not lost anything. Secondly, we have separated the trail-only version from the commercial release.

I notified all users of the upgrade who purchased via Capitalware's online shopping cart. You probably purchased MQVE via a reseller.

Send an email to 'support' at capitalware.biz with your MQVE Order Number or license key and then we will send you the details for the MQVE commercial release.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
Iguana5-0
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure now what method we used, but we received our license numbers through regsoft.com. Good thing I kept that email! I will send the requested info to the email you provided.

In the meantime, I have backed out to the old version I had, and you are right, I have not lost anything. All my queue managers are there. Thanks for your help!
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

All,

Just to complete this thread, Chris is up and running with the commercial release of v1.4.0.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
zpat
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Good new features, although the product does seem to be "action then object" rather than the more usual "object then action" paradigm.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

zpat wrote:
Good new features, although the product does seem to be "action then object" rather than the more usual "object then action" paradigm.

Hi,

Everything in MQVE is an object. MQVE is a GUI driven program. Events occur because of a user action (clicked on something). Hence, objects are manipulated because of user actions. i.e.
Quote:
Object <- Action <- User

Can you explain your comments more and why you think I have the design backwards? Maybe you are thinking of the J2EE MDB pattern where a message (object) causes an event to happen. This pattern is not applicable where there is no default action for an object.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
zpat
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I was referring to the GUI navigation. I would prefer any MQ tool to start with a list of queue managers, then expand one or more QMs to show a list of queues, then expand one or more queues to show a list of messages and finally edit or browse the message data. Rather like the IBM MQExplorer does.

Any (and all) actions should be contextual on one of these MQ objects.

Whereas MQVE starts with a blank screen (this has always annoyed me) and the new actions like queue monitor have separate GUI panels for their list of queues and so on. It feels a bit like a collection of disparate tools (much like ISPF does on the mainframe).

I have access to MQVE, WMQTool, RFHUTILC, CommerceQuest queue tool, MQexplorer v6, MO71, Appwatch and PQEDit. I generally like the navigation style of WMQTool or MQExplorer best. However the detail message viewing of RFHUTILC is excellent.

I am sure other people love the GUI style of MQVE, I am just stating my personal view.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi,

Please don't take this the wrong way, because forum posting can come off cold and impersonal.

zpat wrote:
I was referring to the GUI navigation.

I understand. Basically your comments have nothing to do with Object Oriented Design or Design Patterns but rather personal preferences. Plus a couple of your comments are unrelated to each other.

zpat wrote:
Whereas MQVE starts with a blank screen (this has always annoyed me) ...

So, lets start with my thinking back in 2002 when I started coding MQ Visual Edit (MQVE).

- What did I use as a model for MQVE? Not MQ Explorer or MO71, etc... It was a spreadsheet program. So, when you open 1-2-3 or Excel what do you get? A blank spreadsheet.

- How do you open a previously saved spreadsheet, you click File -> Open. To open a queue in MQVE, you click File -> Open Queue

- I designed it to have maximum view of the message data. Period. That is its number one.

One major problem that I have seen and been really annoyed about with other products is retrieving a queue list on slow networks. I have worked at many client sites where next traffic is barely ok. i.e. The best speed you can get is 5 to 10 messages a second. Actually, I'm currently at a site where it tops out at 8 messages per second.

So this means for MQ Explorer, MQJExplorer, WMQTool, etc.. they become almost unusable because every time you click on a queue manager they retrieve the entire list of queues. If I simply want to open 1 queue then if the queue manager has hundreds or worst thousands of queues, the display locks up for 5 to 10 minutes at a time.

zpat wrote:
I would prefer any MQ tool to start with a list of queue managers, then expand one or more QMs to show a list of queues, ...

I purposely chose NOT to make it mandatory to retrieve a list of queues but rather optional and optional at the user discretion.

zpat wrote:
Any (and all) actions should be contextual on one of these MQ objects.

It does have. What is MQVE? A message editor and not an admin tool. Hence, anywhere you can 'edit', simple right-click to get contextual actions. It is not an admin tool, so there is nothing on the 'List of Queues' window.

zpat wrote:
new actions like queue monitor have separate GUI panels for their list of queues

Same philosophy. If I used a framework, who am I to say where in the framework the monitoring window should go? Bottom, top, left or right-side?

The people who requested the monitoring feature said they had 2 requirements: (1) ability to show a subset of queues and (2) make it small so that they can put the window in a corner of the screen. So, that is how it was built.

Actually, I do have my own Java/Swing framework, and there are many threads running all communicating with each other. MQVE's framework is kind of like the Star Trek Borg community. It has many worker-threads talking and performing work based on the collective. Actually, it is not 'disparate tools' but rather the components are highly integrated with each other.

To show you how robust the MQVE framework is, try the following:

- Start MQVE
- Open a couple of queues.
- Open 10 Put Servers, select various queues from different queue managers do 10,000 messages each with various delays.
- Open 10 Get Servers, select various queues from different queue managers.
- Open several Queue Monitor tools to monitor the various queue managers
- Open several Queue Stats Monitor tools to monitor the queue stats from various queue managers
- Now click start on all of the tools to get it all running.
- Finally go back to MQVE and edit some messages in those queues you opened up.

- You will find that everything is completely smooth. All those worker-threads are all working in harmony in a single JVM. You can even Backup/Restore or Export/Import messages and everything will be completely smooth.

- Even better. With v1.4.0, you can run those tools in separate JVMs if you wish. i.e. You can start Queue Monitor tool in a separate JVM. The user can then choose to invoke MQVE in that JVM or in its own JVM.

zpat wrote:
However the detail message viewing of RFHUTILC is excellent.

I have never heard that before. Most people tell me how cryptic / convoluted the interface is.

zpat wrote:
I am sure other people love the GUI style of MQVE, I am just stating my personal view.

Yes, that is fine. Everybody has a right to say what he or she likes and dislikes.

Finally, MQVE will always be based on a spreadsheet design format. Hopefully, since you have access to it, some of the new features will appeal to you.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
zpat
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

It's hardly surprising, as the designer, that you are not going to agree with me. Object-Action refers to the user interface, I never said it was anything to do with OOPS. Anyway, the point is that MQVE is a tool I rarely use because I don't like its user interface. End of story.

However I did quickly try out the "Queue Stats" feature and it didn't seem to work against z/OS queue managers (5.3.1 or 6.0).
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

zpat wrote:
However I did quickly try out the "Queue Stats" feature and it didn't seem to work against z/OS queue managers (5.3.1 or 6.0).

Hi,

It should work against any z/OS queue manager that supports PCF commands. I'll look into it.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi,

Hummm. A programming 101 error.

An updated trial copy will be out this weekend. If you are a licensed user and want v1.4.0A then send an email to support at capitalware dot biz.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Archives - All » New: MQ Visual Edit v1.4.0
Jump to: