ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Archives - All » Export and Import Messages

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 Export and Import Messages « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
shassey
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Export and Import Messages Reply with quote

Apprentice

Roger - I have an issue with how import works and please correct me if I am wrong!!

We have standardized on this tool as a production support tool and this is where my problem is...
1. We have an integration process which throws messages to a backout queue if the application has a problem with a particular message - this queue could potentially have many messages in it for various reasons.

The messages are text messages with no extra headers.

2. I was hoping to use export and import to allow the application team to edit the message and reimport it. I prefer this method to changing the message on the backout queue thus creating a 2nd message which could cause confusion on what message really had the problem versus the 'fixed' version of that message.

The problem is because import just assumes mqmd default settings (especially the format field and persistence) - the message has blank format and non-persistent. The mdb which reads this is expecting a text message so the parsing fails when imported.

3. You could argue that they should forward the message to another queue, edit the data in the message that needed changing, forward to the original input queue but this seems kind of klunky. It would be nice if we could specify a couple of defaults.

thoughts? Thanks for your help!!
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

I'm sure Roger will be along with a better answer, but.. I don't think edit in place will duplicate the message. It basically has to work by doing a destructive GET of the message, making changes in memory, and then doing a PUT. It almost certainly therefore would change the message's location on the queue (from somewhere in the middle to exactly at the end) - but that would happen no matter how you do this so you must be okay with it.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

shassey wrote:
2. I was hoping to use export and import to allow the application team to edit the message and reimport it. I prefer this method to changing the message on the backout queue thus creating a 2nd message which could cause confusion on what message really had the problem versus the 'fixed' version of that message.

jefflowrey wrote:
It basically has to work by doing a destructive GET of the message, making changes in memory, and then doing a PUT.

Exactly. When you edit a messages with MQ Visual Edit, it does a destructive get then puts the updated chanages back to the queue. Hence, only 1 copy will be on the queue.

The simplest solution is to edit the message on the backout queue. After updating the message on the backout, forward it to the 'real' queue. Hence, there will be nothing left on the backout queue.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
shassey
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thanks - I understand what you are saying but you lose the integrity of the original message by doing that.

If you think about it - you edit the message on the backout queue, that messages jumps to the bottom, gets a new put time, you have to go to that next message and then forward it - hopefully to the right place. Whereas if you export the particular message, edit it, import it to the queue, make sure it processed okay - then go delete it from the backout queue. You are in control of when you delete the original message and maintain the original data until you want to delete it. If we do this we would probably have as a procedural step to use backup to backup that message from the backout queue to keep the original though if restored you lose the original put time etc. Also in some cases you care about order so by editing the queue directly you would have to be careful about updating them in order.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi,

If you are using MQ Visual Edit v1.3.0 or higher then use the copy & paste functions because it maintains the MQMD header.

- Select the message and click copy
- Paste the message to a temporary queue
- Edit / update the message
- Then forward it to the original queue.
- Finally, when you are happy, delete the message from the backout queue.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
shassey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

thanks roger. I just tested that - it doesn't maintain the persistent or priority when pasted. It does keep the mqformat. Can the persistent and priority get fixed?
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi,

Ya, you're right. When you paste the message to a different queue, those attributes seem to be dropped. I'll look into it.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
shassey
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi Roger - do you have any date for the next release of visual edit? Some of the other enhancements you said would be included would be displaying queue attributes etc?

I am being bugged by someone who wants to see how deep a queue is defined for etc.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

shassey wrote:
do you have any date for the next release of visual edit? Some of the other enhancements you said would be included would be displaying queue attributes etc?

I am being bugged by someone who wants to see how deep a queue is defined for etc.

Hi,

I just got home late Sunday night from this year's MQ Conference. Getting the next release of MQ Visual Edit out the door is the next thing I do after I complete the help files for the new GUI tool for the security exits.

I am sorry for the delay - long delay!! Over the last year, the 2 security solutions have taken up almost all of my time. Updates to MQVE & MQVB have been delayed, new products have been put on hold, etc... but now I will be proceeding full stream ahead.

Would you like to beta test the next release? I will need several rounds of beta testing, so it will be buggy at first (I have changed the internal message handling.).

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
shassey
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

I would love to beta it - you know I will have feedback!!!!

thanks - let me know...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Archives - All » Export and Import Messages
Jump to: