ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Checkpoints in Log

Checkpoints in Log « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
greenhorn
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Could anybody let me know the advantage of using checkpoints in Logs ?
Does it anyway help reduce the restart time of the Q manager and does it help reduce the disk space consumption ?
Cheers
Greenhorn
Coz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

If you're referring to the use of rcdmqimg with linear logging then the answer is simply that the number of logs that have to be kept to recover from a media failure is drastically reduced. Once messages have been committed they are'nt really needed anymore hence the rolling log files but the MQ Objects are written to the logfiles only at startup I believe (maybe checkpointed automatically but I beleive that the gap is relatively huge).
Using rcdmqimg will 'move' the obeject definition to a newer logfile thus allowing older logfiles to be deleted.

Coz
jhalstead
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

I guess there are two things being discussed here, check points and media images. I'm going to answer assuming you did meant checkpoints!

Checkpoint are controlled by the queue manager they are not directly of use to the user (apart from the fact that they keep data consistent between logs and object files!).

As far as I understand checkpoints are taken automatically by the queue manager every 1000 operations along with at startup and shutdown (although I think this may now be 10,000 on v5.2). At this point MQSeries ensures that the log and object files are synchronised.
If you are using circular logging this is the point at which the logs can be recycled. So for circular logging your primary and secondary log files should be able to accomodate those thousand operations along with the message data.
With linear logging the checkpoint process has no impact on the size/use of the logs.
I don't think checkpointing provides any direct log space saving, rather it dictates the size of your logs (if you're using circular logging).

You are correct in that checkpoints are meant to aid the efficiency of recovery.

A good place to review this would be the MQSeries system administration guide.

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/ts/mqseries/library/manualsa/index.html

Cheers

Jamie

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Checkpoints in Log
Jump to: