ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Telemetry / Low Latency Messaging / Everyplace » Comparison of WMQe and WMQ

Comparison of WMQe and WMQ « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
fitzcaraldo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Comparison of WMQe and WMQ Reply with quote

Voyager

Hello,

I'm trying to get a handle on how WMQe is different from normal full blown WMQ. I know WMQe can do persistent messaging but does it support transactions (ie read from one queue and write to another in a single unit of work). Is is XA compliant? - can it control a transation between a queue and an XA compliant database?
Are there any other features of WMQ that are not supported in WMQe?

Thanks
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

WMQe is meant to support mainly mobile and handheld devices.
That means reduced volume and as tiny as possible a footprint.

Enjoy
jsware
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

WMQe is quite a different beast to WMQ. I'm just starting to get to grips with WMQe and there are differences at many levels.

WMQe (the Java version at any rate) does not have a separate queue manager that you connect to. When you "connect", the WMQe classes get loaded and initialised, which starts the queue manager in your application's JVM. The queue manager runs as a set of threads within your JVM process. This might be different with the C/Mobile device versions.

There are many more types of queues other than local/remote/alias etc. There are sync proxy, async proxy (kinds of remote queues), store and forward queues (kinds of transmission queues), home server queues (kind of a hybrid queue/requestor channel) etc.

There aren't the sender/receiver/requester channels etc.. You setup connections to other WMQe queue managers, and then define things such as proxy queues on the remote qmgr using that connection. Connections can be of different types (e.g. TcpipHTTPAdapter or TcpipHistoryAdapter) etc. Different connection types are used depending on the bandwidth your trying to work over (I believe TcpipHistoryAdapter uses less bandwidth because there's no HTTP headers floating about).

I am not sure about XA coordination, or transactions.

It takes a while to get your head around if your a seasoned WMQ person.

HTH
arunakumarinampudi
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: MQe XA compliant Reply with quote

Novice

Hi;

WMQe is not a XA complaint, i.e., it can not behave like a transaction co-ordincator between queue & XA database. However full blown MQ could do that.

WMQe supports persistent messages with choice of your storage ( Memory , disk or database or custom made(not supported by IBM i think )).

You can use JTA (Java Transaction API ) to get full transaction capabilities in you application.....

Regards
Arun
hopsala
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

scottj2512 wrote:
WMQe (the Java version at any rate) does not have a separate queue manager that you connect to. When you "connect", the WMQe classes get loaded and initialised, which starts the queue manager in your application's JVM. The queue manager runs as a set of threads within your JVM process. This might be different with the C/Mobile device versions.

Do you mean to say, that each mobile/palmpilot has a QM? No clients in MQe?

Btw, can MQe connect to MQ? (it's not just a naive question, I would imagine that this is a common need for some buisnesses)
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

hopsala wrote:
Do you mean to say, that each mobile/palmpilot has a QM? No clients in MQe?

I'm not so clear on this, but in some cases this is true.

hopsala wrote:
Btw, can MQe connect to MQ? (it's not just a naive question, I would imagine that this is a common need for some buisnesses)

You need a bridge. WBIMB acts as a bridge, there is also a support pack or something included with MQe.
jsware
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

It might be worth noting that IBM are deprecating the MQeInput/MQeOutput nodes from message broker. I heard this from some of the developers at Hursley. Their solution (I guess) is to use the Bridge that comes with MQe to get the messages into WMQ.
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

scottj2512 wrote:
It might be worth noting that IBM are deprecating the MQeInput/MQeOutput nodes from message broker.

I'm kind of not surprised by this.

Given the lack of volume on this forum, I suspect that MQe is not widely used, except where it is heavily used.
queuetip
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

I read through here and I am amazed that there isn't a comparison grid between MQe and MQ. I am wondering the same thing. My hunch was MQe is just the MQSeries client on steriods - with some GUI and web friendly APIs.

So I went to the web site and read the typical marketing high-level rhetoric that leaves you more unclear than before you started reading.

Is MQ Everywhere the same as MQ Express - if not, what's the difference?

Is there some type of easy to read summary like a comparison matrix of regular vs. anywhere vs. express MQSeries? If not, what are the differences?

Thanks,
Mike
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

WebSphere MQ Express is a SMB version of WebSphere MQ. It's licensed at a better price with reduced capacity.

WebSphere MQ Everyplace is a completely separate product, that has been folded in the WorkPlace line of products, and is designed to provide networking to and from handheld devices like PDAs.
queuetip
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

jefflowrey wrote:
WebSphere MQ Express is a SMB version of WebSphere MQ. It's licensed at a better price with reduced capacity.

Thanks, Jeff. Forgive my ignorance, but what does SMB mean?

Can I assume that ALL the features for MQSeries (full blown) are available in MQ Express and it's just infrastructure limitations (like CPU)? Some examples of features would be: containing it's own queue manager(s), able to define queues and other objects, able to customize listeners, log activity, using all triggering capabilities, submit MSMQ commands, use message sequencing, all GMO and PMO options, communicate with regular MQSeries servers, supports MQSeries MQI client calls, etc.

What are the capacity maximums?

Thanks,
Mike
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

queuetip wrote:
jefflowrey wrote:

Thanks, Jeff. Forgive my ignorance, but what does SMB mean?

Can I assume that ALL the features for MQSeries (full blown) are available in MQ Express and it's just infrastructure limitations (like CPU)? Some examples of features would be: containing it's own queue manager(s), able to define queues and other objects, able to customize listeners, log activity, using all triggering capabilities, submit MSMQ commands, use message sequencing, all GMO and PMO options, communicate with regular MQSeries servers, supports MQSeries MQI client calls, etc.

What are the capacity maximums?

Thanks,
Mike

Read the documentation. Some of the limitations are clearly stated like number of channels etc...

SMB =Small and Medium Businesses

Enjoy
queuetip
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

fjb_saper wrote:
Read the documentation. Some of the limitations are clearly stated like number of channels etc...

I tried this originally but it seemed to be all over the place - painful - which is why I came to this group. Can you guide me to the doco with a link AND suggest a specific section?

Much appreciated!
Mike
flaufer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: WMQe CBT Reply with quote

Acolyte

queuetip wrote:

I tried this originally but it seemed to be all over the place - painful - which is why I came to this group. Can you guide me to the doco with a link AND suggest a specific section?

Mike,

I remember there once was a CBT Training available for an Introduction to WMQe. Was a good starter for me to get into the topic.

Cheers,
Felix

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Telemetry / Low Latency Messaging / Everyplace » Comparison of WMQe and WMQ
Jump to: