ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Archives - All » Visual Edit truncating messages

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 Visual Edit truncating messages « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
AnonymousCoward
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Visual Edit truncating messages Reply with quote

Greetings. I just downloaded 1.2.2c yesterday, and was trying it out. I really like how feature packed this product is. But one interesting thing I noticed was that when I edit a message (I changed one character) that is 113162 bytes long, the message gets truncated to an even 100000 bytes. Am I missing something, or not doing something right?

Thanks.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi,

Thanks for trying out MQ Visual Edit.

There are some, shall we say, speed controls in MQ Visual Edit. Rather than pull every byte of every message, there are some default limits. This way it will not hours for the display to respond if you have 1000 20MB messages on the queue.

Go to Edit -> Preferences and you will see 2 items:
    - Max. size of each message to retrieve is set to 100,000
    - Max. number of messages to retrieve is set to 5000

You can increase the max size from 100,000 to say 1,000,000 and that will fix your problem.

A different approach you can use is :
    - Open the Message Edit window
    - Click the 'Get All Data' button in the upper-right hand corner. This will pull the entire message from the queue.
    - Edit the message as normal
    - Click the Save Queue button.

Maybe it should display a popup warning message if the user is trying to save a message before retrieve all of it.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
AnonymousCoward
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, that makes sense. I'll give that a test. If I don't respond back consider it case closed. Plus I'll try to talk my boss into a couple licenses for it as well.

Thanks.

Cheers,
AnonymousCoward
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Great.

If you think of any features you would like, please let me know as I am collecting them for the next release.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
EvolutionQuest
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

An enhancement would be to dynamically determine the size of the file and spit it out byte-4-byte including any changes in the output file/message instead of setting a hard upper limit.

Just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi,

I don't understand your question / comment. There are no files used when editing a message.

What do you mean by "spit it out byte-4-byte including any changes" ??

There are no hard limits but rather a soft or flexible limit to speed up the responsiveness of he GUI.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
EvolutionQuest
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

I was going off the basis that when the individual was editing a message it got truncated. Based on your response it sounded like MQVE could only handle up to 1,000,000 bytes.

For showing the message it is understandable to have the flexibility to display only a limited number of bytes, but when editing a message it should show the full amount. Then when putting the message back into the queue it will reflect the total changes not the bytes shown.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi,

I have always left it to user to determine what is an appropriate message size and since it is documented that the user can select the message retrieval size.

But I am thinking that it would probably better when opening the Message Edit window, to display a popup warning if the message in the main display window was a truncated message.

I think I prefer the popup approach, since some people may want to just peek at a message and if it was a 100MB message, this may take seconds (or minutes) to pull the message.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Archives - All » Visual Edit truncating messages
Jump to: