ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Clustering question

Clustering question « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
curtdan
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Clustering question Reply with quote

Novice

Hello all,

I am new to mqseries and have set it up on two machines in my home running XP pro on each. I have been trying to set up clustering based on the queue manager cluster manual. I am able to set up the queue managers on each machine, the listeners on each machine(different ports) , the sender and receiver cluster channels. My problem is I constantly get the AMQ9520 error stating that there isnt a remotely defined queue. I have check the name and they seem fine. I have tried using host name in the conname attribute and I have tried using an IP address. I just cant seem to figure out could be the problem.

I have mq 5.3 csd06 with interim fix pack on each.

One other thing.. does it make a difference that I am on a wireless network? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Listeners on different machines do not need to be on different ports.

Have you defined any local queues on either queue manager?

Have you "shared" them in the cluster, by changing the properties of the queue to include a cluster name?
curtdan
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

I made the listeners something other than the default 1414 because when I set everything up there were default queues etc. that were using 1414. I have created a queue on one of the machines and specified the cluster option. ie define qlocal(qname) repos(clustername)

When I do a display clusqmgr(*) one of the responses on each machine shows system.tempqmgr.ipaddress in the CLUSQMGR of what should be the cluster sender channel of each machine.

Also when you say shared them do you mean issuing the alter qmgr with repos(clustername) option ? because I have done that also

btw.. thank you for responding..
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Quote:

When I do a display clusqmgr(*) one of the responses on each machine shows system.tempqmgr.ipaddress in the CLUSQMGR of what should be the cluster sender channel of each machine.

Your cluster is not set up properly yet, so the queues are not being shared between QMs. This symptom you describe is mentioned in the Cluster Manual (Chapter 9 Section Troubleshooting), along with some possible solutions. Until you get this fixed (system.tempqmgr.ipaddress) there is no point trying anything else cluster wise with this particular cluster.
curtdan
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

I tried all the suggestions in chapter 9 and still kept getting the error. I have decided to delete everything and will try again. I have an additional question before starting again.

1.) I originally created everything through MQ explorer. Was this the best way to do this when creating clusters.

2.) The manual states I cant have the same hostname on different channels, does that also apply when using IP address also?

3.) In following the instruction in Chapter 3 setting up the cluster the manual states that after the queue managers are created that the commands can be done in any order. Is that correct or is there a particular order that should be followed?

4.) Could I be missing any fix packs besides CSD06 and the latest interim fix that would not allow clustering to work?

Thanks again
Curtis
JasonE
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Quote:
1.) I originally created everything through MQ explorer. Was this the best way to do this when creating clusters.
It should not make any difference.

Quote:
2.) The manual states I cant have the same hostname on different channels, does that also apply when using IP address also?

If you are running >1 qmgr on the same box, you obviously end up defining many receivers with the same ip address or conname, but the importand thing is to ensure each qmgr on the same machine has a listener on a different port, and its clusrcvr has its port along with the ipaddress.

Quote:
3.) In following the instruction in Chapter 3 setting up the cluster the manual states that after the queue managers are created that the commands can be done in any order. Is that correct or is there a particular order that should be followed?

It is true, as it should sort itself out regardless of order.

Quote:
4.) Could I be missing any fix packs besides CSD06 and the latest interim fix that would not allow clustering to work?

Make sure you have the interim fix on for the 2 apars on windows, and then you are at the highest released code level.

If you end up with system.temp.* entries, check all the channels and see which ones are in retry and then concentrate on the definitions to see why.
curtdan
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

One final question before I try this all again. In case I run into more problems is there a troubleshooting manual or a certain checklist of things to look for to resolve problems I may encounter
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Not really, other than Chapter 9 of the Cluster Manual, which has a TroubleShooting section.

Focus on getting all your channels defined properly. A cluster that can't communicate properly is always going to have problems.

And understand that the CLUSRCVRs are used as a model for the cluster to dynamically make Automatic CLUSSNDRs from other QMs to the one that you are defing the CLUSRCVR on. In other words, make sure that CLUSRCVR is correct, and as you populate all its properties, keep in mind you are really making definitions for Automatic CLUSSNDRs at that point. In particular, make sure you get the IPAddress(port#) correct in the CONNNAME field.
curtdan
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Okay I tried everything again and still got an error(system.temqmgr). I then decided to use the cluster wizard to join a cluster(all on one machine instead of the original two) and when I did that it worked. I then did a dis chstatus(*) I noticed the the wizard defined cluster included the port number in the conname and also a rqmname. My question now is when I followed the directions in the queue manger clusters manual it never mention specifying a port number with the ip/hostname. I know the listener for the queue managers need to specify a port but does the conname definition of the channel need to specify it also? Also does the rqmname also have to be specified or are those fields that are updated once the channels between the two queue managers start and update the repository info happens?

I truly have to take my hat off to all you guys that have worked with this stuff for a while because it can be a bit confusing just starting out.
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

I guess the cluster manuals assume that someone who is building a cluster has already built regular MQ channels - which require port numbers...
curtdan
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

I have defined regular sender and receiver channels on the machines in a distributed environment and I dont remember specifying a port number. I can send messages from one machine to the other in that type of environemnt. I know it will take some time to learn this stuff and it will only come by trial and error, reading and questions on forums like this one.

Thanks again for everyones input...
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Channels require port numbers if the queue manager is listening on anything other than the default port - 1414.

If you had to put "(1414)" into your cluster channel definitions, something is funny with your network setup.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

curtdan, If you go to MQServices, and right click on the QM to get its properties, there is a TCP Tab. You don't happen to have the PORT parameter filled in on this page do you? If you do, I believe MQ will append whatever # you have here to all your conname parameters in your channels, which could be why you have to put (1414) in your definitions.

Make sure that parameter is blank. It is NOT realted at all to what port the local Listener will listen on. The Listener has its own port paramter to fill in.
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

I guess it's my turn to learn something this morning.
curtdan
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Jeff and Peter,

Thank you very much for your input. After taking a break from it I started from scratch again and I got it all set up.

Thanks again,
Curtis

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Clustering question
Jump to: