ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Backup on z/OS

Backup on z/OS « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mgrabinski
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Backup on z/OS Reply with quote

Master

Hi mainframers,

Can you share your thoughts/experience/remarks on backuping MQ on z/OS?

My concern are page sets. Currently I use HSM to achive them every night (it's fuzzy backup - I can't stop the managers). But due to the volume of page sets (there are 6 managers, each having a dozen page sets, 50 000 TRKS each), the archive process is quite long. I was thinking of ways to make it shorter.

HSM backups all formatted pages, this is overhead since not every page contains data, so I thought of using the COPY function of CSQUTIL to copy only pages that actually contain messages. It is much quicker and the volume of the archive shrinks greatly, but the function doesn't work for queues currently open. And stopping all activity is out of question.

How do you deal with backup of page sets?
oz1ccg
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Hi, what about using ADRDSSU (used as mover for HSM), and the dump the PSID, logs and BSDS when the time is right for you, maybee in parallel to STRIPED DASD ??

Have you calculated how log time it takes you to recover the queue manager reading logs .... Maybee it's time to jump on fuzzy backup every xx hours....

The essential part of fuzzy-backup is to backup from start to end, to preserve the RBA index of the dataset, it SHALL be taken first !!!

Just my $0.02
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
spellman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A FlashCopy facility would be handy - see IBM Shark dasd. We use EMC dasd to create a point-in-time duplicate dasd volume with Timefinder, then copy it to tape with FDR 'FDRInstant' which can read offline volumes.
IBM ess: http://www.storage.ibm.com/disk/ess/pdf/ess-brochure.pdf
FDR info: http://www.fdr.com/fib.cfm

Works fine in a D/R situation.

Good luck,
Steve
oz1ccg
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Be aware of the way you're doing the FLASH-copy or whatever it's called, what is very mandatory to backup (while running), is to backup the start of the DSN (with RBA and pointers), before the rest of DSN.

This gives some challanges (especially when dealing with multivolume DSN), you'll have to know how the DSAD is organized, how the extemsions are placed etc.

I saw some info on this on the WebSphere tech. conference....

This was the main reason why I didn't mention the hardware backup way, another is using mirroring technologi....

Just my $0.02
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Backup on z/OS
Jump to: