ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Archives - All » MQVE Problems

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 MQVE Problems « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
D Gallant
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: MQVE Problems Reply with quote

I've downloaded the trial of MQVE and am having a couple of issues with it. First, I've got MQVE 1.3.1A and Sun JVM 1.5.0 running on WinXP Pro. The MQ server I'm trying to communicate with is running on a Unisys OS2200-based mainframe. The server code itself is based on the HP-UX code base so when in doubt assume I'm delaing with HP-UX.

We're new to MQ so my first problem may be environmental. I am able to setup the QM connection OK (channel=SYSTEM.DEF.SVRCONN, port=1030, correct IP). However, all attempts at hitting the List button for a list of queues always returns comp-code=2 and reason=1043. If I type in a valid queue name everything works as expected.

Second, the Put Server window has a problem. It appears that all of the text boxes have a width that isn't even one character wide. Get and SIM server windows are fine. I'd post a screen shot but I don't see a quick way to attach it.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi,
Quote:
The MQ server I'm trying to communicate with is running on a Unisys OS2200-based mainframe.
Wow, now that's interesting!!

Quote:
I am able to setup the QM connection OK (channel=SYSTEM.DEF.SVRCONN, port=1030, correct IP). However, all attempts at hitting the List button for a list of queues always returns comp-code=2 and reason=1043. If I type in a valid queue name everything works as expected.

It sounds like you have the 'Distributed' box checked on the 'Queue Manager Access Profile' window (where you inputted the queue manager name, channel, port, ip, etc.). But you are connecting to a mainframe or a mainframe-like queue manager that does NOT support PCF commands. Therefore, go to the 'Queue Manager Access Profile' window for that particular queue manager and change the 'Queue Manager Type' (dropdown box) from Distributed to Mainframe.

Quote:
Second, the Put Server window has a problem. It appears that all of the text boxes have a width that isn't even one character wide. Get and SIM server windows are fine.

I've tried to test many standard screen resolutions and font sizes with MQ Visual Edit but I might have missed yours - or just missed clicking the PutServer button at your resolution.

What is your screen resolution and font size. On WinXP, right-click on the Desktop, select Properties then select the Settings tab. This will give you the screen resolution. Next click the Advanced button and the General tab what does it say for Font Size?

Also, what do you have MQ Visual Edit's Look and Feel set to? In MQ Visual Edit, click View -> Look and Feel, which item has the checkbox selected? You might try another setting. i.e. Metal

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
D Gallant
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried switching the qmgr type and got the same error. I am pretty sure the implementation accepts PCF commands. I have the command server running and can execute the MQAI sample program. Also, it is not listed as restricted functionality from the HP-UX port. (However, it does not support MQ client connections. I don't have clarification of exactly what that means but I may have an upgrade in a couple of weeks that allows them. That announcement also included a comment that it will allow for remote administration using IBM MQEXplorer for Windows. On the other hand, MQVE seems to work OK except for enumerating queues.)

Screen res is 1280x1024, font Normal(96dpi). Problem with Put Server window occurs with Windows or Windows Classic look&feel. Looks OK with other options.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi,
Quote:
I am pretty sure the implementation accepts PCF commands. I have the command server running and can execute the MQAI sample program.

Did you run the program on the server or remotely from a Windows PC?

Quote:
However, it does not support MQ client connections. I don't have clarification of exactly what that means...

I think it means client connections 'from' your Unisys OS2200-based mainframe to a remote queue manager.

I wish I knew what a Reason Code of 1043 is.

If you can get MQ Explorer to connect to your queue manager then MQ Visual Edit will be able to connect and list queues. Let me know what happens after your upgrade.

Thanks for the screen info, I'll have a look (so to speak).

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
D Gallant
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you run the program on the server or remotely from a Windows PC?

On the server since I knew the program throws an error if the command server is not running.

Quote:
I think it means client connections 'from' your Unisys OS2200-based mainframe to a remote queue manager.

Perhaps but I was told it also meant that you could not do a traditional client connection for get/put operations 'to' the mainframe.

Quote:

I wished you did too!

Quote:
If you can get MQ Explorer to connect to your queue manager then MQ Visual Edit will be able to connect and list queues. Let me know what happens after your upgrade.

That's my theory too. Since that is going to be 2-3 weeks in the future (current estimate), my 30-days will be up on MQVE. Any way I could get an extension after the new software arrives?
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

RogerLacroix wrote:

This isn't a valid reason code as far as I can tell.

I wonder if MQVE is improperly dealing with encoding or endianness? (endianality?) byte ordering?

There might be a specific manual for the HP-UX or the Unisys OS2200 platform that lists it, but other than 999, all reason codes start at 2000.
D Gallant
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you bring up a good point. OS2200 is a 9-bit byte machine (36 bit words). I have already noticed this to be a problem with the MQMD-REPORT field when browsing messages. I confirmed that the discrepancy between what I put in and what MQVE displayed was a ninth-bit issue. My docs say that the mainframe deals with this issue in all of the standard MQ structures but perhaps the way you're accessing the queues bypasses the Unisys code.

I did do a little twiddling with that 1043 at the bit level (we've dealt with this 8-bit v. 9-bit stuff before ) and I think the actual RC is 2067. Its description is at least logical for what may be occurring.

Again, let's wait and see what my upgrade has in store before we try to debug this too much.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Jeff,

In MQVE for getting a list of queues I use the MS0B SupportPac. I don't explicitly CCSID or encoding, therefore, I hope the Java classes are setting the default value.

g20720, a 9-bit byte machine!!
Yes, lets see what happens after the upgrade.

Regads,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
D Gallant
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you mentioned it - the messages are being created with CCSID=819 and encoding=273. In MQVE the CCSID is displayed as 307 (another bit 9 issue) with 273 for encoding.

Douglas Gallant
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Archives - All » MQVE Problems
Jump to: