ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » MQSI pub-sub

MQSI pub-sub « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
amigupta1978
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi
I have a query about MQSI pub-sub. Like we can implement durable subscriber in JMS ( i mean publisher will publish the message to subscriber even if say subscriber is down at that time ), is this possible in MQSI.
I tried with a sample flow with MQSI publishing to a particualr TOPIC and a subscriber listening to that queue and evrything worked fine.

I then make the subscriber queue put inhibit (or say due to some error the message was not able to put into the subscriber queue), then in that case the message which MQSI broker will publish will get lost from that subscriber. Can in MQSI in any way we can implement the durable subscriber thing such that when the subscriber is down then after it comes up the Message is put on the subscriber queue.

Thnx
Amit
kolban
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

In WMQI (and MQSeries) the concept of publish and subscribe is that a subscriber names a queue and a topic. When an application publishes a message with a given topic, the message is copied to each queue that has a matching subscription. What this means is that the message will remain on the queue until the subscriber succesfully retrieves it or until the message expires.

In JMS, when the talk about durable and non-durable subscriptions, they basically talk about the life time of the subscription. In JMS, a subscription for a non-durable subscriber is removed when the client application terminates. For a durable subscriber, the subscription persists until told explicitly to be removed. So ... in WMQI, all subscriptions are, by default, durable. If a client application is not running, then the message will be kept until the application retrieves it at a later time.

Your scenario is not an example of durable vs non-durable. It is an example of a broken/poorly configured system vs a working one. Disabling a queue or filling a queue is not the same as an application consuming from that queue terminating.
amigupta1978
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi
Thnx Kolban for the reply,

Actually I have posted a similar question again, the real problem is for me is that I have some TOPICs to publish and 3 subscribers listening. All my messages are quite critical which I cant afford to loose. So while in Testing I some how faced this problem that message was unable to put on one of the subscriber queue due to some system error "MQcode 2102 :MQRC_RESOURCE_PROBLEM ", so we had to restart the broker and the Queuemanager. But the problem is that particular message got lost (I mean it was not able to put on the queue).

Can you please suggest some way such that we can work around this problem.
Since I can't afford to loose any message (whatever may be the reason).

The only solution currently I am able to think is to get away with Pub-Sub and use the destination List structure (since it will make full thing under one transaction, such that if the error happens, message will be backed out), but this doen't seems to be quite a good idea.

Thnx
Amit
kolban
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The most likely cause of the problems are insufficient disk space for the logs or for the files holding the queues. Next time you see this error, quickly look at the disks.

I am assuming you are running on unix so use the "df" command.

You may also want to ensure that your unix kernel parameters are set correctly. This is not a functional problem but a setup-resource problem.

If you ask for durable subscriptions and attempt to publish a large enough number without running a subscriber, something would have to give ... an infinte number of messages can't be stored for retrieval.
Tibor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

A subscriber security question:

How can I separate the users who are coming same username from different systems? For example: a lot of 'oracle' user, because we are using many Oracle server-side application.
abiram8
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Hi

Ther is one solution Its up to you to adopt you can give diifrent user name
say for Oracle1 Machine Admin1 , for Oracle2 you can give Admin2 etc.,

Tibor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Quote:

Ther is one solution Its up to you to adopt you can give diifrent user name
say for Oracle1 Machine Admin1 , for Oracle2 you can give Admin2 etc.,

OK, but we have a *lot* of applications (50+), well, so this is not the best idea...
Miriam Kaestner
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

"The only solution currently I am able to think is to get away with Pub-Sub and use the destination List structure (since it will make full thing under one transaction, such that if the error happens, message will be backed out), but this doen't seems to be quite a good idea. "

You can actually publish in WMQI under transactional control, you the publishing message flow is a transactional one. This has the effect that either ALL publications are delivered (at least to a transmission queue for the remote system) - or none at all and a rollback occurs.
I am not sure that this is what you wanted to achieve.

The other solution for unreliable subscriber queues would be to use retained publications, and/or subscribers registering with option PubOnReqOnly. That means publications are stored in the broker DB.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » MQSI pub-sub
Jump to: