ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Archives - All » Result of MQ Visual Edit list queue function show up in DLQ?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 Result of MQ Visual Edit list queue function show up in DLQ? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jwinckelmann
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Result of MQ Visual Edit list queue function show up in DLQ? Reply with quote

Hi,

in one of our QM located on z/OS the result of the list queue function of MQVE doesn't show up on the screen, it goes straight to the DLQ. The reason code is 2085 ( MQRC_UNKNOWN_OBJECT_Q_MGR ) for the queue CSQ.BBF5188C817C2041. I suppose that is some kind of temporary table, which is also listed in the result of the query. THe name of the QM is correct.

Any ideas what could be wrong with our set-up? It works o.k. with other QM, but they are located on a different machine. We have defined an alias name for the QM, could this be the cause of the problem?

Thanks!

Bye,
Jan
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi,

I am kinda confused by what you are doing. What is QMgr Alias pointing to? Another mainframe QMgr? Or to itself?

How many messages are going to the Dead Letter Queue? (How many queues are on the mainframe queue manager?)

Are you trying to use one QMgr as a proxy to another QMgr? This won't work.

Can you describe in greater detail which QMgr MQVE is connecting to and what you are trying to do?

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
jwinckelmann
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerLacroix wrote:
Hi,

I am kinda confused by what you are doing. What is QMgr Alias pointing to? Another mainframe QMgr? Or to itself?

I mentioned this alias only because it's the only obvious difference to the other QMs. I don't use the alias name for accessing the QM with MQVE.

Quote:
How many messages are going to the Dead Letter Queue? (How many queues are on the mainframe queue manager?)

We have 48 queues and there are 50 messages in the DLQ starting with CSQN205I COUNT= 50, RETURN=00000000, REASON=00000000
CSQM401I )HEP2 QUEUE(CICS01.INITQ ) TYPE(QLOCAL ) CURDEPTH( 0)
( ... suppressed... ) the last message is
CSQ9022I )HEP2 CSQMDRTS ' DISPLAY QUEUE' NORMAL COMPLETION

The alias was defined by our sysadmin, I don't have the details how it works. It's used by a remote QM only because of different naming conventions.

Any ideas?

Bye,
Jan
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi,

Those messages look exactly right. (That is how the Command Server responses on the mainframe.)

Hummm, is this a TEST / TOY LPAR where it gets very little CPU time? Because MQ Visual Edit (MQVE) waits waits up to 2 seconds (2000 ms) and then gives up (then display a blank list).

Normally, 2 seconds is a very long time for a mainframe application. But if the LPAR is not getting any CPU time then MQVE could easily timeout.

Can you do a couple of tests to confirm this? Get your watch (or PC) time to be the same as that LPARs time. Then in MQVE click the List button and quickly write down time to the second. Then after you get the blank list and the messages are in the Dead Letter Queue, check the timestamp of those messages.

What is difference in time?

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
jwinckelmann
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Roger,

thanks for the input.

The problem now changed slightly. There are no messages in the DLQ anymore, but still MQVE shows an empty queue list. And yes, this QM is much slower than the ones on the other LPAR. The progress window of MQVE is visible and it counts from 1 to 20 and then the empty list is shown. but we have 48 queues on that QM. On the other LPAR the progess windows is not even shown., the list is displayed instantly.

Does the 2 sec timeout only apply to the mainframe? I also access a remote QM on AIX over a slow connection where getting the queue list takes around 40 secs.

Bye,
Jan
jwinckelmann
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just found the real ( stupid ) cause of the problem:

The QM name entered in MQVE had a leading space character like " HEP1"

Without this space character the speed is o.k. and no more entries in the DLQ. Strange that this worked at all.

Bye,
Jan
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi,

I couldn't believe your post, so I tried it against a mainframe queue manager and I'll be damn, I get the same results.

If the queue manager is ' MQA1' (leading blank), I can sucessfully connect and open queues!!! (Just the List Queues function does not work.)

To try something weird, I set the queue manager as 'MQA1 ' (trailing blank), I can sucessfully connect, open queues and List queues too!!!!

Now that is weird!! First of all, in the different behaviour in queue manager (obviously dropping trailing blanks) but more importantly, a blank character is supposed to be INVALID. In both scenarios, on the connect, it should have return unknown queue manager - 2058.

Of course, the reason the messages ended up in the dead letter queue with unknown object name - 2085, was that the Command Server could not find ' MQA1' (leading blank). It had nothing to do with 2 second wait time being too short.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Archives - All » Result of MQ Visual Edit list queue function show up in DLQ?
Jump to: