ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » How can I tell how many messages have been sent?

How can I tell how many messages have been sent? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Tom Hogan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

How can I tell how many messages have been sent through a particular remote queue or channel?
Similarly, how many have been received in a local queue? The current depth of a local queue only tells me how many are still waiting to be dequeued.
mqonnet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

How can I tell how many messages have been sent through a particular remote queue or channel?
---For a particular session, session here means, active channel time. Time between you start your channel and end it. You can figure out the total number of messages transmitted using this channel using "dis chs(<channel name>)" command. It will show a host of things including "MSGS", which will tell you the total number of messages processed by this channel.

Similarly, how many have been received in a local queue? The current depth of a local queue only tells me how many are still waiting to be dequeued.
---Well. Currdepth is the actual amount of messages on the queue at any point of time, unless there are messages which are not committed yet. So, it would always show the total messages on queue. Not quite sure what you mean by "still waiting to be dequeued". If you mean that these are the messages that are ready to be picked up, then follow the above method to figure out as to how many msgs were processed.

Cheers.
Kumar

Tom Hogan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Kumar
Are you talking about commands in runmqsc? I am running on Solaris, and when I do a display channel, I see 35 fields, but none of them are 'MSGS'. When I do a 'display chstatus', there are 6 fields, and none of them are MSGS. Likewise, when I do a 'display qlocal', there are 44 fields, and none of them are 'MSGS'.

What I meant by dequeued was that the messages had been read and commited by the application reading from the queue. What I was looking for was statistics, how many messages had been read in total.
Regards
Tom
mqonnet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Are you talking about commands in runmqsc?
--Yes.

I am running on Solaris, and when I do a display channel, I see 35 fields, but none of them are 'MSGS'. When I do a 'display chstatus', there are 6 fields, and none of them are MSGS. Likewise, when I do a 'display qlocal', there are 44 fields, and none of them are 'MSGS'.
---MY mistake. It is not "display chs(<ch name>)", but display chs(<ch name>) all". This would show you rest of the fields which are not displayed otherwise. Take a look at this url.

http://www-4.ibm.com/software/ts/mqseries/library/manuals99/csqzaj/csqzaj1e.htm#HDRDISCHS

What I meant by dequeued was that the messages had been read and commited by the application reading from the queue. What I was looking for was statistics, how many messages had been read in total.
---There are quite a few such products which gather statistical information of queues. Might want to check on them.

Cheers.
Kumar

Tom Hogan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Kumar
-- ALL -- I didn't know that. Thanks!
Tom

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » How can I tell how many messages have been sent?
Jump to: