ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Triggering- can't trigger same program twice

Triggering- can't trigger same program twice « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
EOTIII
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using MQ 5.2.1 on W2K. I have written a very simple program to log to the event log. I set the trigger queue to "Every". As I put messages, the program is triggered. But only one instance will run at a time. When I check the event log, I see that all of the programs ran. I have put a 15 sec delay to try to get more that one at a time to run, but no matter what I do, they will only run serialally.

Help!
mqonnet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

From what i understand you want to be able to run the same program simultaneously using application triggering.
Ok. First of all setting Every does not mean that if you put 10 messages you would have simultaneous 10 apps started/triggered. It means that any message that arrives on the queue would trigger the application mentioned in the process def.
Hmm... I have not done this before, but i would think if you stop your trigger mon, put all the messages on the queue, set it to every, and then start your trigger mon, it might help you see more than one app at a time. But i am not sure if it will. Because Triggering is serial as is MQ. And it would serve the first message first and then follows with the second one.

Cheers.
Kumar

StefanSievert
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Hi,
the product supplied trigger monitor on Windows starts the triggered application using the system() call, which is inherently synchronous, i.e. control is not returned to the trigger monitor until the triggered application finished.
Solution 1: Preceed the APPLICID in your process definition with 'START ', for example 'START NOTEPAD.EXE'
Solution 2: Put your application invocation in a batch file and trigger that batch file. The file can look like this:
echo off
START yourprogramname
EXIT

The last line is important, because otherwise you will have a DOS command window left open for each triggered instance of the batch file. This will ultimately lead to Windows throwing up on you due to exhausted system resources.
Hope that helps,
Stefan

srinigamini
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't we simulate this situation like multithreaded application. In J2EE we can use Message Driven Beans, here each message executes in a separate instance of bean. How can we achieve the same with triggering in MQSeries.

Thanks,
Srini
kolban
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

MQSeries triggering provides for the automatic creation of a new message called an initiation message when a trigger on a queue is reached. The initiation message is fully documented by IBM. The IBM supplied trigger monitor is simply an "example" of a program which can intepret and process initiation messages. You can craft any program to watch for initiation messages (caused by triggering) and process as you need. If the IBM supplied trigger monitor is not sufficient, perhaps you could come back with some more details of what you need and we can design something on the forums.
EOTIII
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I used "START ProgramName /B" and it worked the way I needed. I will be using this technique to write a triggered program (By Depth) to start another exe if it can not empty the queue fast enough.
StefanSievert
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Quote:

Thanks for the help. I used "START ProgramName /B" and it worked the way I needed. I will be using this technique to write a triggered program (By Depth) to start another exe if it can not empty the queue fast enough.

Just a little reminder, in case you haven't caught that from the docs on triggering: If you set TRIGTYPE(DEPTH), MQSeries will set the application queue to NOTRIGGER, after the trigger has fired. So, one thing you would need to do is re-enable triggering as the last action in your triggered program using the MQSET API call.
I would suggest that you look into using QDPHIEV (queue depth high) events for that purpose. For a description on how these work, please refer to the Programmable Systems Management manual (Chapter 3: Understanding performance events).
Cheers,
Stefan

[ This Message was edited by: StefanSievert on 2002-03-04 13:29 ]
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi,

Use "START ProgramName" and not "START ProgramName /B". Secondly, if you really, really want to use the /B option then the command is: "START /B ProgramName".

Please read the Windows NT/2000 docs because "/B" does not mean run in the background (as most people thinks it does).

later
Roger...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Triggering- can't trigger same program twice
Jump to: