ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Sender channel goes to Retrying state after NT machine reboo

Sender channel goes to Retrying state after NT machine reboo « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
aq
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Does anybody know reason or solution for the followin problem, when dealing MQSeries between NT and S/390 platform ?

The problem is that when NT machine is rebooted and you don't issue stop command on the sender channel (on NT), after the reboot when the NT machine come's up the MQS sender channel on NT goes to retrying state and in order to fix the problem you have issue stopstart on both end's of MQS channel nodes (NT sender and S/390 receiver).

In NT side we have MQS 5.1 and now a day's in S/390 we have MQS 5.2 (previously 5.1).

It's quite annoying problem
mqonnet
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hi Aq,

All sender channels try to connect to the same Port the listener was listening to before you rebooted the system(without stopping the channels). The description which you gave does not specify if the listener at the other end was up and running when you restarted the queue manager. Please check the same..
Cheers.
Kumar

aq
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

I'm pretty sure that the listener in the other end was running, altought i'm not 100 % sure, because it's in our customer premises and we don't have access to it, thats why it always so hard to issue stopstart on both end's because you always need atleast one person from our company and one person from our customers company

Do you (or anybody) know solution for (except instruct people to stop the sender channel always before boot) this, is there way that after boot the channel connection between NT <--> S/390 would restore (in NT <--> NT it work's just fine) ?

regards,
aq
mathiss
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Do you have the heartbeat and disconnect intervals set on both ends of the channels? On a reboot the channels will reconnect once the heartbeat detects that the other side is live again.

Sue
mqonnet
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

NT->NT works fine on a restart, may be because you start the listeners on both ends by yourself. But when the Sdr goes down abnormally, and you restart the QM, the sdr tries handshaking with it's respective Rcvr on the other end. This involves a lot of factors. Listener should be up, the HBINT at both ends must be met, and if these two are fine, then the retry interval and number of retries come into picture.
I have a couple of questions.
1) What happens when you Restart the QM. You said that the SDR channel does not automatically start itself, does that mean it goes into Retry state. Or does that mean that it is in a Stopped state.
2) Does the channel start immediately, when you issue a Start channel command after restarting the QM.
3) If you leave the channel for a while(HBINT time), and not issue any commands, does the channel restart itself.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.
Kumar

aq
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

>Do you have the heartbeat and disconnect intervals set on both ends of the >channels? On a reboot the channels will reconnect once the heartbeat detects >that the other side is live again.

Yep, or there is atleast the default values for them: on sender (NT side) the hearbeat is default 300 (also in S/390 side) and disconnect interval is set to 0 = no disconnect (no S/390 side because it receiver).

>NT->NT works fine on a restart, may be because...

>1) What happens when you Restart the QM. You said that the SDR channel does >not automatically start itself, does that mean it goes into Retry state. Or >does that mean that it is in a Stopped state.

Well, it tryes to start itself, but goes to retrying state. I don't remember exactly but i think last time i called for our customer's S/390 operator to stopstart receiver on that end, i think he sayed that on S/390 end the receiver channel according to him was in running state, even when the sender channel on booted NT was on retrying state (as i sayed i'm not sure, i should check this...)

>2) Does the channel start immediately, when you issue a Start channel command >after restarting the QM.

The channel tryes to start itself immediately after reboot, but goes to retrying state. The sender channel start's fine after the following operations:
1. stop NT sender channel
2. stop S/390 receiver channel
3. start S/390 receiver channel
4. start NT sender channel

>3) If you leave the channel for a while(HBINT time), and not issue any >commands, does the channel restart itself.

Hmm, i think it tryes to restart itself, but doesn't seem to have any effect, altought i should also ensure this...

regards,
aq

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Sender channel goes to Retrying state after NT machine reboo
Jump to: