ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » z/OS QMgr is now part of the cluster - sort of.....

z/OS QMgr is now part of the cluster - sort of..... « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
RatherBeGolfing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: z/OS QMgr is now part of the cluster - sort of..... Reply with quote

Centurion

Well, I took the plunge today and created a CLUSRCVR and CLUSSDR channel on my test z/OS LPAR. I noted a couple of "interesting" things and I thought I'd run them by you knowledgeable folks to see what you thought...

(1) On the Windows2K platform, there isn't any more to joining a QMgr to a cluster than defining the clussdr and clusrcvr. Is this also true on z/OS? Or, is there some other step to take? I did end up creating a SYSTEM.ADMIN.SVRCONN channel since my CHIN task was complaining regularly about the lack of this channel....

(2) The mainframe doesn't like things like CORPTCOM10 in the Conname field of the CLUSSDR channel - so I ended up hardcoding the IP address of the target respository box in there. Also, on the CLUSRCVR end of this channel, I replaced the Connname there as well - with his local IP address - instead of his local computer name. I guess this is because z/OS doesn't have a Domain Name Service avaiable to him?

(3) I have been unable to connect (using MQExplorer) to my mainframe QMgr. He shows up in the cluster list of QMgrs. And, the Q I created on the mainframe is in my list of cluster queues - I even put a test message to it. I also manually created SYSTEM.ADMIN.SVRCONN on the mainframe. However, I still cannot connect - getting AMQ4043 - anyone know how to get around this?

(4) I was also able to PUT a message from the mainframe to a Queue in the distributed cluster, by specifying blank in my QMgr name, MQ resolved the message to a Q on the distributed side with no problems. However, I notice that I don't see the cluster Qs in the REXX clist (CSQOREXX I think). I didn't really expect to see them, but it would have been nice - is there any configuration setting I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Larry
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

1.) If the z/OS QM is only joing the cluster as a partial repository, that is all you have to do. Just create the CLUSSNDR to 1 of the full repositories, and then create a CLUSRCVR into the z/OS QM. Your are getting the error for the SYSTEM.ADMIN.SVRCONN channel because MQExplorer is trying to connect to this QM, which is not going to work (see #3).

2.) Yeah, if the mainframe doesn't have the DNS service available, then you can't use DNS names (99% sure on this). If this is the case, you will have to code IP addresses in all the CLUSRCVR channels in the cluster that the z/OS QM would possibly ever talk to, the bare minimum being the full repositories.

3.) You cannot use MQExplorer to admin z/OS, it is not supported. The only reason it showed up by itself in the MQExplorer is because the z/OS cluster info was in the full repositories of the distributed QMs, and MQExplorer took it upon itself to populate the veiw for you.

4.) You wont see any of the clustered queues on the mainframe until the mainframe actually puts to them. Just because the MF joined the cluster doesn't mean that its partial repository is instantly filled with every queue in the cluster. Only the ones it locally hosts are there, plus any that it actually put to. Try putting (on the MF QM) to a few other queues that are hosted somewhere else in the cluster. They will then be populated in the MF's partial repository, and so then should show up in your view (not sure though since I have never used this REXX utility you are talking about, so I don't know how it actually works).

In the MQExplorer, you will sometimes notice that you see a lot of the clustered queues on a partial repository, even though you haven't actually put to them from that QM. The reason is that MQExplorer cheats and connects to the full repositories itself, and fills in the view for you. Bewareof using MQExploer with clusters - it is not always 100%. Always double check any doubts with runmqsc commands.

Do yourself a favor and get the MO71 support pac. You will find yourself hardly ever using the TSO panels in the MF or the MQExplorer to admin MQ.
offshore
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

RatherBeGolfing,

I too just recently set up a cluster on z/OS. So far things seem to be working great, alot better than when the cluster was NT only.

Another support pac you might consider downloading is MA10. Its similar to the CSQOREXX Operations & Control Panel. It has the ability to browse q's, issue MQSC commands, & Administer the DLQ.

So far I haven't had any problems viewing cluster q's. I also have the MA17 support pac. It allows you to view messages in a much better detail than the one supplied w/ MA10. You have to do a few things to it work w/ cluster queues.

Any help w/ the z/OS side I'll be glad to help!

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » z/OS QMgr is now part of the cluster - sort of.....
Jump to: