ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Best way to handle DLQ messages in production

Best way to handle DLQ messages in production « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

PeterPotkay wrote:
gbaddeley wrote:

Our SDLQ is set to 100MB max msg length and default 999,999,999 max depth. We have acres of disk space and alerting for 80% full and 90% full. Running out of disk space is bad for MQ.

Even a 1 byte message in the DLQ will be closer to 1 KB of disk space when you factor in the Dead Letter Header and MQMD Header.
999,999,999 x 1,024 = 1 terabyte
Unless you have 1+ TB of disk per QM (how much is an acre of storage ) I think the QM will long before you hit your >80% alert and that's assuming a best case of only 1 byte app messages and all other queues near empty.

Sorry, the 80% and 90% full alerts are for disk file system usage. We have standard alerting for 80% max queue depth and queue full and aged messages (eg. more than 1 hour old).

Its interesting to do capacity calculations for queue disk space. Say a production qmgr has 1,000 local queues with max depth set to 100,000 average, and max msg size 100 MB (we set this on all app queues). Theoretical disk space usage is 10^16 bytes. There must be effective alerting for disk usage and queue depth!
kordi
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

gbaddeley wrote:
"runmqdlq with a good rules table" works for us. We have 100+ production queue managers and dozens of app systems using MQ messaging and MFT file transfers. We don't generally retry on queue full situations as all our queues are maxdepth for >24 hours of volume (for DR purposes). If there are no other common situations that can be handled by rules, move the message to a separate queue that alerts for queue depth > 0, and the support team will then decide what action is required. Your systems should be robust enough that is a rare occurence.

Thanks a lot for your answer. So it is plain and simply solution that also came to my mind when I was thinking about the best approach to this topic.
kordi
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

PeterPotkay wrote:
Cześć kordi

Cześć PeterPotkay

Wow, that's a very comprehensive answer. Thanks a lot. Patrol seems to be a very popular tool having lots of capabilities and well integrated with MQ.

Unfortunately we are not using it

I guess it takes time to adjust rules/settings for handling DLQ messages. Initial set up usually will be changed in the future. The most important aspect seems to be a well prepared monitoring that catches all non-standard situations plus a monitoring team who knows what to do with them. The rest will be adjusted over time.

I really appreciate your answer sir!
kordi
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

bruce2359 wrote:

Like others here, I earn a living doing what you are asking us to do for you for free.

Your answer is a bit surprising for me. I am on many forums and I am always happy to help others when my experiance covers the question. Never thought about money when doing that. I thought the idea of such forums is to exchange and share experiance without thinking that I should be paid for my answers. But that's just me.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

kordi wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:

Like others here, I earn a living doing what you are asking us to do for you for free.

Your answer is a bit surprising for me. I am on many forums and I am always happy to help others when my experience covers the question. Never thought about money when doing that. I thought the idea of such forums is to exchange and share experience without thinking that I should be paid for my answers. But that's just me.

Don't take it wrong. It most certainly means that the poster thought you did not explore enough the capabilities, and are trolling for an answer instead of clearly stating your question...
kordi
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

fjb_saper wrote:

Don't take it wrong. It most certainly means that the poster thought you did not explore enough the capabilities, and are trolling for an answer instead of clearly stating your question...

Well, that clearly means I must work on my English skills more than on my MQ skills. I thought my question was pretty stright-forward

Anyway, I think it doesn't make sense to discuss about this misunderstanding anymore
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

kordi wrote:
fjb_saper wrote:

Well, that clearly means I must work on my English skills more than on my MQ skills. I thought my question was pretty stright-forward

Anyway, I think it doesn't make sense to discuss about this misunderstanding anymore

I read and re-read your OP more than a few times before my first reply.

Your OP seemed to ask (demand) that we do all of the basic research and technical write-up. I was reminded of more than a few OPs over the years that began with "I'm a computer science student at university, and my project is to ...". This was my initial thought on your OP.

Your OP offered nothing as to your knowledge and experience with the product and 3rd-party products that support MQ. Your low post count lead me to believe that you were new to MQ. I/we were left to speculate (guess).

Again, I meant no disrespect.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Best way to handle DLQ messages in production
Jump to: