ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQ Messages compression in sdr / rcvr channel

MQ Messages compression in sdr / rcvr channel « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
guptavishesh6484
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: MQ Messages compression in sdr / rcvr channel Reply with quote

I need to setup Sender -receiver channel pair between two MQ (V6.0) servers connected by Internet VPN.
As message rate is very high (300-400 per minute), i need to implement Message compression (RLE, ZLIB) as provided in sender / receiver channel configuration. I am tight on Network bandwidth but have moderate enough system (in terms of CPU and memory). Message size would be in the range of 70 to 90 KB and i am expecting to bring it down to 5-6 KB.

Can you please let me know if you have worked in this, or have any detailed documentation (IBM MQ Sys admin guide does not suggest much)? I need to work out

1) Which method (RLE, ZLIBFAST or ZLIBHIGH) would be good for my scenario and in which order.
2) How can i determine the level of compression it has done to the message.
3) How can i determine the increase in message propogation rate.

It would be great if you could mail me (guptavishesh6484@gmail.com) directly.

Regards,
Vishesh Gupta
guptavishesh6484@gmail.com
mvic
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: MQ Messages compression in sdr / rcvr channel Reply with quote

Jedi

guptavishesh6484 wrote:
1) Which method (RLE, ZLIBFAST or ZLIBHIGH) would be good for my scenario and in which order.

Test it and find out.

Quote:

Unless each message is the same, this number will differ for each and every message. I suggest you can use your network tools to measure the real numbers of bytes over a period of time (eg. 10 minutes).

Quote:

I suggest you run a representative test, and use your network tools to measure the real numbers over the desired period of time.

In summary, run some tests.
guptavishesh6484
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: MQ Messages compression in sdr / rcvr channel Reply with quote

mvic wrote:
guptavishesh6484 wrote:

Test it and find out.
[ReplyQuote_guptavishesh6484]
Thanks for this, "test & see" is always the best thing to do but Do you have any idea which method is preferred in which senario?
[/ReplyQuote_guptavishesh6484]
Quote:

Unless each message is the same, this number will differ for each and every message. I suggest you can use your network tools to measure the real numbers of bytes over a period of time (eg. 10 minutes).
Thanks for your reply. Do we have some utility or support pac to monitor these things instead of depending on Network Monitoring tools?
Quote:

I suggest you run a representative test, and use your network tools to measure the real numbers over the desired period of time.
Thanks for your reply. Do we have some utility or support pac to monitor these things instead of depending on Network Monitoring tools?
In summary, run some tests.
mvic
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: MQ Messages compression in sdr / rcvr channel Reply with quote

Jedi

Since you are new to the site, I would recommend using the "Preview" button to check that your post will look OK. The quoting has gone wrong in your post, and the Preview would help you get that correct.

guptavishesh6484 wrote:
Thanks for this, "test & see" is always the best thing to do but Do you have any idea which method is preferred in which senario?

Not for your scenario, no. Why not spend a couple of days, code and run the test, and you will then know for sure. No-one on this site knows your data, your hardware, your software, your requirements, and anyway any suggestion we might make, you would have to code and test in order to verify it was really correct.

Quote:

None that I know of, but your network tools will be independent of MQ, so will give a more independent view. Others might know of a tool, though.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Search Mr. Google for data compression algorythms. Each offers different benefits.

The effective compression rate (percentage) varies dramatically on the conten of the data to be compressed; so we can't definitively tell you one is better (more effective) than the other.

There is a substantial trade-off between data compression and cpu utilization - at both ends of the channel.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

If you are on MQ V 6.0.2.6 or V 6.0.2.7 you might want to apply maintenance or ask for the APAR as there was a bug in msg compression. (It manifested itself on our cluster channels on AIX)
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Recently, I came across the TCP_NODELYACK setting in reference to channels.

You need to set this to 1 and it is done different ways for different platforms. It will burn more memory and CPU but the channels will go faster. It must be set at both ends.

For Windows, it is a registry setting (wapos).
For AIX, no -p -o tcp_nodelayack=1

For System Z,

The TCP_NODELAYACK setting can be set at two levels:
1) TCPIPCONFIG statement:
NODELAYAcks (This will set NODELAYACKS for the whole TCPIP stack (all connections))

2) PORT statement for WMQ CHIN
PORT 1414 TCP xxxxCHIN NODELAYAcks (this will set nodelayacks only for port number associated with CHIN)

Have fun! I came across this working with WebSphere DataPower.
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Seems this can be set in the qm.ini as seen at the bottom of this page

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQ Messages compression in sdr / rcvr channel
Jump to: