ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » monitoring suggestion

monitoring suggestion « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
paustin_ours
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: monitoring suggestion Reply with quote

Yatiri

i have a need to monitor fte transfers between agents and we have a lot. Have a subscription to the topic(s), parse and write to mongo and have a UI around it to search for transfers. this seems to work.

is there a better solution, i hear about all these time-series dbs like prometheus etc., would it make sense to put these events in something like prometheus and use grafana to create a query viewer around it?

any thoughts suggestions? any other suggestions?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Monitor for what purpose? What end result?
paustin_ours
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

to search and find out if a file transfer completed successfully or not.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

You didn't specify how are you ftp-ing currently? Are you using IBM's MQ Managed File Transfer? Or, something else?

Have you looked at the MQ FTP's supplied logging capabilities here https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_9.0.0/com.ibm.wmqfte.doc/resource_logging.htm
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
You didn't specify how are you ftp-ing currently? Are you using IBM's MQ Managed File Transfer? Or, something else?

paustin_ours wrote:
i have a need to monitor fte transfers between agents and we have a lot.

@paustin_ours, regrettably we don't use FTE so this is about the only contribution I can make
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Vitor wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:

paustin_ours wrote:
i have a need to monitor fte transfers between agents and we have a lot.

@paustin_ours, regrettably we don't use FTE so this is about the only contribution I can make

(ftp fte. Where are my reading glasses?)

What's missing for you from MQ's FTE logging capabilities? What monitoring/automation tooling is in place at your shop?
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Hi Paustin, you mean tooling like MQAttach?
bhyatm
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: MFT Monitoring and Management Reply with quote

HI,

My name is Mac and I work for MQAttach
We have developed a platform for monitoring MFT aswell as IIB/ACE and ITX/A from a single web based UI.

We are subject matter experts in MFT and as such also assist customers that have our product to better manage their MFT environment through our offerings

Our solution supports
- Transaction Tracking including Detail Info, SLA Tracking and Notifications, Automatic Data Retention
- Full transactional searching and BI Metrics
- Agent Monitoring and Management
- Monitor Monitoring and Management
- A full suite of Extensions to extend your MFT agent (and protocol bridge agent) capabilities without the need for complex ant scripts
- Reasonable All Encompassing Annual Pricing
- a centralized and much more comprehensive Web based replacement of what you get with the MFT view in MQ Explorer

The latest version has been completely rewritten with a brand new UI and database backend

Should you want a demonstration or require more info, please contact me at mac@mqattach.com and I would be happy to get someone to contact you

Thanks
sgarforth
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: monitoring suggestion Reply with quote

You could use XRay from contact admin (N a s t e l). It is similar to Prometheus/Grafana but much easier and faster to use.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Arielma14, stop spamming old posts with your non-sense.
RebeccaBarnes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: monitoring suggestion Reply with quote

paustin_ours wrote:
i have a need to monitor fte transfers between agents and we have a lot. Have a subscription to the topic(s), parse and write to mongo and have a UI around it to search for transfers. this seems to work.

is there a better solution, i hear about all these time-series dbs like prometheus etc., would it make sense to put these events in something like prometheus and use grafana to create a query viewer around it?

any thoughts suggestions? any other suggestions?

You did not indicate how ftp works for you now? Do you use IBM MQ Managed File Transfer? Or something different?
weiwpa
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best solution will depend on your specific requirements and the level of complexity you're looking to achieve. It might be helpful to set up a prototype or proof of concept using Prometheus and Grafana to see how well they fit your use case before fully committing to a switch.
rjoy14111
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great that you already have a functioning system in place to monitor FTE (Full-Time Equivalent) transfers between agents, utilizing a topic subscription, parsing, and writing to MongoDB, with a user interface for searching. However, considering alternatives like time-series databases such as Prometheus and visualization tools like Grafana can offer advantages depending on your specific use case and requirements.

Here are some thoughts and suggestions:

Prometheus and Grafana: If your monitoring needs involve real-time metrics and you want to leverage time-series data, transitioning to Prometheus and Grafana could be a beneficial move. Prometheus excels in collecting and querying time-series data, while Grafana provides powerful visualization and query capabilities. This combination can offer you more advanced monitoring and analysis options, especially if you need to visualize trends and patterns in your data.

Advantages of Time-Series Databases: Time-series databases like Prometheus are optimized for handling data that changes over time, making them particularly suitable for monitoring and metrics. They are designed to efficiently store and retrieve time-stamped data, which can be valuable for tracking agent transfers' temporal patterns and performance over extended periods.

Consider Your Use Case: Before migrating, carefully consider your specific use case. If you require real-time monitoring, trend analysis, alerting based on thresholds, or complex querying, Prometheus and Grafana can provide these capabilities. However, if your existing MongoDB setup meets your current needs and performance requirements, there might be no immediate urgency to switch.

Integration: If you choose to transition to Prometheus and Grafana, ensure a smooth integration process with your existing data sources and applications. You'll need to adapt your data collection and parsing processes to feed data into Prometheus effectively.

Scalability: Consider your scalability requirements. Prometheus can handle a significant volume of time-series data, but you'll need to design your infrastructure for scalability as your monitoring needs grow.

Cost and Resources: Assess the cost and resource implications of transitioning to new tools. Prometheus and Grafana are open-source, which can be cost-effective, but you'll need to allocate resources for the migration and ongoing maintenance.

In conclusion, the decision to switch to Prometheus and Grafana depends on your specific monitoring needs, scalability requirements, and long-term objectives. If your current setup is working well and meeting your needs, there may be no immediate need for a change. However, if you require more advanced monitoring and analysis capabilities, transitioning to a time-series database and visualization tool like Prometheus and Grafana could be a valuable investment in the long run.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » monitoring suggestion
Jump to: