ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » How to identify if MQ refresh security command is been issue

How to identify if MQ refresh security command is been issue « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Inforz
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: How to identify if MQ refresh security command is been issue Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi,

How to identify if MQ refresh security command is been issued or not in MQ , or the last time this refresh security type(ssl) has been issued.

There has been a severe issue in our working environment where the MQ support person has did the SSL renewal on MQ server (which is used by MQ) and didnt do the refresh security type(ssl) at the time of performing the renewal

By yesterday midnight the old cert got expired and since today we are having SSL invalid cert issue thrown at MQ logs

So this was resolved by issuing refresh security type(ssl). However, by the time it was issued, there was a huge impact at the customer end and they wanted a mechanism or a command or a check that can assure if a refresh security type(ssl) has been issued or not.

Note: Since we had multiple other apps connecting to the affected MQ server, the refresh security had caused a blip for all other apps that werent affected by this cert expiry.

MQ v7.0.1.14 is used and the server is AIX 1.3
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Your version of MQ is long since unsupported.

How any business would want to rely on that is beyond me. You do realise you are totally on your own and IBM will not help fix bugs?

The MQ event log might show the refresh. Or you could enable the command events (beforehand) and look at those.

I think I submitted an RFE for a way to display the certificates currently loaded by the QM. Not of interest to those that refuse to upgrade of course.
tczielke
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

I believe your underlying requirement is validating that MQ is using the new certificate after a cert update. This link gives you an option with using openssl s_client.

https://community.ibm.com/community/user/integration/blogs/tim-zielke1/2020/04/24/using-openssl-s-client-with-ibm-mq
Inforz
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Quote:
Your version of MQ is long since unsupported.

Right and our environment is so.

zpat wrote:

How any business would want to rely on that is beyond me. You do realise you are totally on your own and IBM will not help fix bugs?

Exactly. and we have proposed for upgrade already and waiting for nod from customer

zpat wrote:

The MQ event log might show the refresh. Or you could enable the command events (beforehand) and look at those.

Yes. A solid command and output is what the customer team are requesting

Quote:

I think I submitted an RFE for a way to display the certificates currently loaded by the QM. Not of interest to those that refuse to upgrade of course.

Thanks a lot. Please share the outcome when youu get it.
Inforz
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

tczielke wrote:
I believe your underlying requirement is validating that MQ is using the new certificate after a cert update. This link gives you an option with using openssl s_client.

https://community.ibm.com/community/user/integration/blogs/tim-zielke1/2020/04/24/using-openssl-s-client-with-ibm-mq

Have tried the below

Code:
openssl s_client -connect localhost:2414 -showcerts

and got

connect: Connection refused connect:errno=79

Last edited by Inforz on Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Inforz
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

tczielke wrote:

Could you please share a link for the same check done locally within a server
Inforz
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

What I believe is if queue manager maintains a copy and checks it against each incoming connection, then there should be a way to retrieve it.

Because everytime it takes it own cert copy to validate rather it doesnt go to the keystore everytime for validation
tczielke
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

Inforz wrote:
tczielke wrote:

Could you please share a link for the same check done locally within a server

openssl can be run from the same server as the queue manager.
Inforz
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Thanks all for the inputs.

Below commands gave the output as we required.

AIX/Linux:

Code:
echo | openssl s_client -connect <QMServerName>:<QMPort> -showcerts 2>&1 | openssl x509 -noout -dates

Windows:

Code:
C:\Windows\system32>"C:\Program Files\IBM\Java70\jre\bin\keytool" -printcert -sslserver <QMServerName>:<QMPort>
kordi
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

In order to have a control over what and who issuesd certain commands I would suggest to

Code:
ALTER QMGR CONFIGEV(ENABLED) CMDEV(ENABLED)

But what has been done has been done.

Check also the AMQERR0n logs, information about issueing REFRESH SECURITY should be there.
EnigmaticCypher
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kordi wrote:
In order to have a control over what and who issuesd certain commands I would suggest to

Code:
ALTER QMGR CONFIGEV(ENABLED) CMDEV(ENABLED)

But what has been done has been done.

Check also the AMQERR0n logs, information about issueing REFRESH SECURITY should be there.

Just to note, enabling these events on its own does not actually help all that much. You need an application or tool that is capable of processing these messages. Later versions of MQ clients ship with the amqsevt sample which could be used as an interim solution, though of course with non-persistent messaging there's always the risk of data loss.

The sample *should* work with the older MQ versions, my workplace has many versions of MQ running due to various reasons, and I haven't personally encountered any major dramas with it.
zpat
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

MQ explorer with MS0P, or the MO71 product, can format event messages interactively.
kordi
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

EnigmaticCypher wrote:

Just to note, enabling these events on its own does not actually help all that much. You need an application or tool that is capable of processing these messages. Later versions of MQ clients ship with the amqsevt sample which could be used as an interim solution, though of course with non-persistent messaging there's always the risk of data loss.

The sample *should* work with the older MQ versions, my workplace has many versions of MQ running due to various reasons, and I haven't personally encountered any major dramas with it.

You are right, it's good to have some MQ knowledge when you want to turn something on or off in Queue Manager We have a tool to read and process events and write them to Splunk.

Happy New Year!
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Also, MQ Visual Edit supports converting MQ events messages into human-readable messages.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » How to identify if MQ refresh security command is been issue
Jump to: