ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Authorizing access to Domain Groups on Windows MQSrv objects

Authorizing access to Domain Groups on Windows MQSrv objects « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
dakoroni
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Authorizing access to Domain Groups on Windows MQSrv objects Reply with quote

Acolyte

Dear MQ security forum users, 

I would appreciate if you could advise on the correct domain group name format in order to grant the proper access on MQ objects.
I have a Windows DEV MQ  Server v9.1.5 (host name : V000080117) joined domain NBGIT.

I need to grant numerous developers that they belong to AD domain groups (such as: NBGIT\Domain Users, NBGIT\Domain Computers) but not on mqm group -since they should not have MQ Admin rights-with specific MQ authorities.

Using IBM MQ explorer, i am capable to grant access to individual domain users IDs(principals) on that MQ Server objects (Queue Manager, Queues, Chasnels), for instance : exxxxx@NBGIT  or fullname@NBGIT,  BUT
I am not capable of adding domain group in the object access list. 

For example, I am able to add the mqm group in the (QM) access list -> mqm@V000080117 and
Users@BUILTIN
where "Users" is local group on that Windows 2019 Server including NBGIT\Domain Users & NBGIT\Domain Computers. 

But when trying to add Domain Users@NBGIT in the (QM) access list, I am receiving the error msg: AMQ4808: Unknown Group 'Domain Users@NBGIT'.
But the domain group name is valid since it exists on Active Driectory..

In the MQ server error log it appears the AMQ8075W: Authorization failed because the SID for entity 'domain_users@nbgit' cannot be obtained.

I have read that the correct Group name format is the following:
GroupName@domain domain_name\group_name
So, I am very skeptical about  what might be wrong..

I have read also in IBM MQ 9.2 KnowledgeCenter that "For IBM MQ authorizations, names of user IDs and groups must be no longer than 64 characters (spaces are not allowed)."
Do you think that spaces in Domain Group names might be the root cause?

Any advise will be much appreciated.
Cheers Nick.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

I haven't encountered that issue, but we don't use spaces in AD group names. We use hyphen (-) or (_) when separators are needed. This is actually an enterprise standard for all AD groups in our company, for MQ or other uses. I don't know the reasons or its origins.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

you may need to remember that you're only allowed 1 level below the group name. So if your group domain Users@nbgit only contains users you are fine.
Should that group also contain subgroups, they will not be authorized...
dakoroni
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject: Authorizing access to Domain Groups on Windows MQSrv objects Reply with quote

Acolyte

Dear all,

Thanks for your responses.
The problem was resolved by updating the qm.ini with security stanza setting -> GroupModel=GlobalGroups, so that OAM checks global groups membership.

Cheers Nick.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Authorizing access to Domain Groups on Windows MQSrv objects
Jump to: