ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » How to solve message retry delays impacting others

How to solve message retry delays impacting others « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

zpat wrote:
Getting off topic but setting channel maxlength to 100 MB can seriously consume CHIN storage on z/OS.

As this queue of ours is QSG shared, the CF (real) storage has to be available and that's quite expensive compared to standard disk (which I would agree is always worth over allocating than having to deal with queue full conditions).

Most of our critical queues are on z/OS and MQ on z/OS is many times more difficult and inconvenient to administer than distributed MQ as you have to worry about CF size, page set size, SMDS size, buffer pool size, CHIN region size and all the other joys of "Ye Olde" MVS.

Earlier, you indicated that there is only one consumer app for the arriving messages. The usual configuration in Parallel Sysplex is to have multiple z/OS images, each capable and participating of processing the same incoming workload. Quite literally, each concurrent consuming app MQGETting from the shared queue.

Did I misunderstand? Is the CF-resident queue really shared across multiple z/OS consumer images? Does the consuming app exist across all of the z/OS images? How many z/OS's are in the QSG?

zpat wrote:
Getting off topic but setting channel maxlength to 100 MB can seriously consume CHIN storage on z/OS.

Well, OK; but CHIN address space storage is the virtual kind, and there's plenty of it. What is REGION or MEMLIMIT? Is the CHIN experiencing excessive paging, for example?
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Q Reply with quote

Jedi Council

CHIN storage is quite a limiting factor for us with many MQ clients connecting to z/OS directly, but it is another subject.

The four way QSG does only have one (MQ client based) consumer for this application - they are using the QSG as a HA QM, they connect using the sysplex VIPA and will get connected to one of the QSG members to access their queue.

Ideally there would be a consumer per QSG member, or at least more than one in total but it's not the case at the present time. The consumer is not hosted on z/OS, it uses a MQ client connection from an off-mainframe host.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Q Reply with quote

Poobah

zpat wrote:
Ideally there would be a consumer per QSG member, or at least more than one in total but it's not the case at the present time. The consumer is not hosted on z/OS, it uses a MQ client connection from an off-mainframe host.

Seriously? You/your mgt are expecting one sluggish midrange consuming app to keep up with a blistering fast z platform? David vs. Goliath.
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

When it (the off mainframe app) works it does keep the queue depth mostly at zero.

But yes I was tempted to use an analogy like a Roll-Royce hitched to a Moped.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Why is the word ‘anal’ in ‘analogy?’

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » How to solve message retry delays impacting others
Jump to: