ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Multi Instance Fail over does not occur if NFS Unmounted

Multi Instance Fail over does not occur if NFS Unmounted « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
smeunier
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Multi Instance Fail over does not occur if NFS Unmounted Reply with quote

Partisan

Environment: Linux Redhat V7.8
MQ Version: 9.1.0.5

NFS netapp V4

Scenario:

We have had the Multi-Instance configuration set for quite a while now and have run many different failover scenarios with success. Today we did a whatif the NFS mounts were unmounted. What we experienced was not favorable.

We unmounted NFS MQ mounts on both active and standby nodes. After 2 minutes, the active node was still showing active and the standby showing "No Status" on a dspmq -x No log message were recorded, nor any FDC dumps issued. Connectivity was loss is about all, but the MQ processes remained active.

We remounted the NFS MQ mounts and everything resumed like nothing happened. The active remained active, but the Standby was stopped, so we had to restart that.

While a failover would have been impossible, since NFS was not mounted, I would have expected something to show an error, indicating files could not be accessed. I would have expected the active node to fail with an FDC generated.

Does this seem normal? Has anyone tried this type of TEST? We were looking to simulate a NFS burp, to see what would happens, as a while ago, the netapp had a firmware update and took both active and standby down.

Are there any configuration that could be set that would have allowed MQ to notice this issue faster(or at all)?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Multi Instance Fail over does not occur if NFS Unmounted Reply with quote

Poobah

smeunier wrote:
I would have expected something to show an error, indicating files could not be accessed. I would have expected the active node to fail with an FDC generated.

Where did you look for errors?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Did you try and generate any traffic?
A queue manager that's idle does not necessarily need to access its storage.
If you want to see the true behavior, put a persistent message on the queue manager while the storage has been removed (unmounted) and see what happens.
My guess is you will have to restart both the active and the standby once the storage has been restored.
Enjoy
smeunier
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Multi Instance Fail over does not occur if NFS Unmounted Reply with quote

Partisan

Quote:

Where did you look for errors?

I looked in /var/mqm/errors and in the MQ error logs for for the Queue Manager which were NFS mounted, but obviously could not be written to.
smeunier
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Quote:
Did you try and generate any traffic?

We repeated the test and then tried some connectivity, without messages. This then cause the active Queue Manager to fail, generating some FDC files. So I get what your saying, about an idle QMGR. We also tried a test where the active was NFS unmounted, but the standby kept its mounts. Since the locks would have been released with the unmount on the active, I would have thought that the standby would have taken over, but it didn't.

These test are being performed to see if multi-instance is sturdy enough to withstand an outage of this type. I guess you cannot expect the heart to continue, when the blood supply has been removed.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Multi Instance Fail over does not occur if NFS Unmounted
Jump to: