ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » HA Multi-instance MQ installation scenario on Windows

HA Multi-instance MQ installation scenario on Windows « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Heba_MQ
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: HA Multi-instance MQ installation scenario on Windows Reply with quote

Apprentice

Dears

I will need to install a multi instance mq queue manager on windows... I did it in linux before... but not sure how same could be done on windows...So please help me...

so, i will get a windows cluster of two servers:
server 1 => IP1
server 2 => IP2
and I will get a cluster storage D:\ (there will be a replication software to replicate data on D:\ from Server1 to Server2 )
and I will get a cluster IP

I will go to server 1 and install MQ:
MQ installation wizard will ask me where to install mq, I will choose C:\Program Files\IBM\MQ

Then it will ask me for data and log dirs
I will choose D:\Data and D:\Logs

I will go to server 2 and install MQ:
MQ installation wizard will ask me where to install mq, I will choose C:\Program Files\IBM\MQ

what should I say...

in case the replication is not yet configured:
there will be nothing on D:\ so I can choose D:\Data and D:\Logs... and I think they will get overwritten when replication works ? correct ? is this OK ?

but if replication is working...:
Then I should see the folders of Data and Logs that got installed on server 1
and in this case the folders will not be empty... How to continue installation in this case ?

Many Thanks for your help
Heba
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Multi-Instance (MI) queue managers use networked file systems, they do not use discrete (server-specific) file systems that are replicated to another discrete file system.

The Knowledge Centre (KC) contains detailed instructions for creating/configuring MI queue managers, and having a supported installation at the end of the process.

If you go down the replication route, and somehow get it working, you will be in for a world of hurt when something goes wrong - assuming anything works 'right' in the first place.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: HA Multi-instance MQ installation scenario on Windows Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Heba_MQ wrote:

I will go to server 1 and install MQ:

I will choose D:\Data and D:\Logs

NO, HELL NO. You only use the shared storage when creating the queue manager. Otherwise the installations look just like a standalone installation except for the fact that they should mirror each other and have to use an Active Domain serviceId. If the local mqm group could have the same GID on both sides... a plus...
Heba_MQ wrote:

I will go to server 2 and install MQ:

what should I say...

The same local drive you used on the first server. Only on the second server it should be local to the second server.

Heba_MQ wrote:

Many Thanks for your help
Heba

Heba_MQ
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thanks exerk and fjb_saper

The problem is server1 is in data center1 and server2 is in data server 2 and the infra team told that we can not have shared storage between different data centers...(they will look for storage replication options only)

What to do if data center 1 goes down... any other suggestion or architecture that could work in our case ?

Thanks
Heba
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Heba_MQ wrote:
What to do if data center 1 goes down... any other suggestion or architecture that could work in our case ?

Multi-instance, as my worthy associates have pointed out, is not possible with replication. If the only solution you have is replication then you need to move out of the MQ sphere and use replication the way it was intended - to replicate an object somewhere else.

So you set up your queue manager in DC1. You put the data files on the replicated storage and force a replication to DC2. You then ensure that the same queue manager starts in DC2. You then shut down the queue manager and initiate automatic replication. You also put a procedure in place to ensure that the queue manager is never allowed to run in both data centers simultaneously, that the IP address for connections to the queue manager are properly mapped to wherever the queue manager happens to be running and all the other fail over details you need.

Your infra team should be able to help with this as (if they're banning shared storage), they're doing this for all the databases and other artifacts they're replicating.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

If you can get away from Windoze, build the queue manager on Red Hat Linux and use Replicated Data Queue Managers (RDQM). Problem solved. Since you abandon Windows, more than one problem solved.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_9.1.0/com.ibm.mq.con.doc/q130280_.htm
Heba_MQ
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thanks Peter for pointing out the RDQM solution.

I checked the RDQM link....

What are the essential differences between the High Availability RDQM and the Disaster Recovery RDQM ?

I see commands for creating queue mangers are different in the HA and DR setup…Although it is an active-passive for both…

And we can not have the Queue Manager set up for both HA and DR in the same time...

Thanks
Heba
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Heba_MQ wrote:
...What are the essential differences between the High Availability RDQM and the Disaster Recovery RDQM ?...

...And we can not have the Queue Manager set up for both HA and DR in the same time...

Your second statement is not completely accurate, depending on MQ version used.

The Knowledge Centre has all the information you require to answer that question, because it's dependent on the version of MQ being used. There are many useful diagrams in both KC versions that explain it perfectly.

In a nutshell:

V9.0 : You can have HA with three nodes, or DR with two nodes. In the case of HA there is no manual intervention required to 'fail-over' from a failed node to a stand-by node and only one node instance of a queue manager is active at any time. Manual intervention is required to activate the stand-by node of a DR RDQM.

V9.1 : You can combine the two and the no-manual-intervention/manual-intervention strictures still apply.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » HA Multi-instance MQ installation scenario on Windows
Jump to: