ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Reconfiguring QM from multi-instance to single-instance

Reconfiguring QM from multi-instance to single-instance « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
miotot
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reconfiguring QM from multi-instance to single-instance Reply with quote

Hi,

I am fairly new to IBM MQ and tasked to configure our existing MQ server to cluster and we opt to use Windows clustering. From reading the documentation, the first thing that I did is to use hamvmqm to move the existing QM data and log to the shared disk in our cluster. However, the said command failed with error:

Code:
The specified WebSphere MQ Queue Manager is configured for multi-instance support and cannot be moved.
Usage: hamvmqm /m queuemanager /dd absolutedatapath /ld absolutelogpath

From further check, the existing queue manager was created with ld and md options and thus (not sure if correct) MQ Server think that it is a multi-instance configuration. Now question is, is there a way for me to reconfigure the queue manager to make MQ server that it is a single instance only aside from recreating it?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Before trying to move the logs, did you shut down both instances of the queue manager? You know you cannot move the logs while the queue manager is running.
miotot
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry for not being clear. Our current setup is only running on a single instance and yes I have stopped the queue manager before I tried to move its data or logs but still encountered below error.
exerk
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Please post the exact command used.

Please post the current directory path of the queue manager data and log files.

Please obfuscate any sensitive information, thank you.
miotot
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This what I did was
1. Stop QM1 using IBM MQ Explorer
2. Issue the following command
Code:
hamvmqm /m QM1 /dd "M:\DATA" /ld "M:\DATA\log"

And then the error occurred.

If this will be helpful, below is the information I found in mqs.ini

Code:
QueueManager:
   Name=QM1
   Prefix=E:\ProgramData\IBM\MQ
   Directory=QM1
   DataPath=F:\DATA\qmgrs\QM1
   InstallationName=MQInstallation1

An old documentation that we had, QM1 was created using the following command:

Code:
crtmqm -c "Queue Manager for XXX Application"  -ss -u "DL.QUEUE" -ld "F:\DATA\log" -md "F:\DATA\qmgrs" QM1

MQ version is 8.0.0.2
Drive M is the new shared disk that is managed by cluster (This is where I want to move the data and logs so I can add my QM to windows cluster resource.
Drive E is the where installation / program files are. I assumed that data and log files was pointed here during installation.
Drive F is the storage disk where queue manager data and logs are supposed to be stored originally
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Can you please check the Registry too? I think at V8.0 everything was moved out into mqs.ini/qm.ini, but as I don't have a Windows set up to check I can't be sure.

I think I had this a long time back when I did something similar on a Windows set up (V7.0 as I remember) when configuring a DR solution, which solution did not mirror exactly what was in Production (I know it should, but I was constrained by the client to reproduce what they already had).

When I created the DR queue managers I used the /dd /ld switches, to create the same paths as Production, and got the same issue; for some reason the configuration was "convinced" it was part of a Multi-Instance set up.

Due to time constraints I never went down the PMR route, and deleted/recreated the queue managers without the /dd /ld switches, but did some "manual moving" .
miotot
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I might need to delete/recreate the QM then. This might be a good time to migrate as well to the latest version and a new hardware so it will be fresh installation.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Try it on a sand-box first, and if the same issue arises raise a PMR.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Reconfiguring QM from multi-instance to single-instance
Jump to: