ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Unsupported 7.0.1.8 to 9.1 single-stage migration

Unsupported 7.0.1.8 to 9.1 single-stage migration « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
phil_m
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Unsupported 7.0.1.8 to 9.1 single-stage migration Reply with quote

Hi,

Has anyone seen any issues with single-stage migrations from 7.0.1.8 directly to 9.1?

I've done this on our DEV systems without any issues, but have since discovered (RTFM!) that it is not a supported migration path.

Has anyone else taken this route, and if so have you seen any issues?

IBM are insisting I need to migrate to 8.0 first before then migrating to 9.1.
While I appreciate that this is not a particularly great hardship, it will cut into our prod maintenance window more than I'd like.

Thanks.
HubertKleinmanns
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

phil_m,

you could install MQ 8 and MQ 9.1 in parallel on the machine and then:

- Stop QMgr

- Migrate to v8 - with setmqm

- Start QMgr - now it migrates objects to v8

- Stop QMgr

- Migrate to v9.1

- Start QMgr - now it migrates objects to v9.1

I do not know, how long your QMgr needs to start and stop, but the migration command itself i very quick.
HubertKleinmanns
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Unsupported 7.0.1.8 to 9.1 single-stage migration Reply with quote

Shaman

phil_m wrote:

Even if there are people, who took this route sucessfully: There will be no guaranty, that this would work for your Environment too.

It's at your own risk.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Unsupported 7.0.1.8 to 9.1 single-stage migration Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

phil_m wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone seen any issues with single-stage migrations from 7.0.1.8 directly to 9.1?

I've done this on our DEV systems without any issues, but have since discovered (RTFM!) that it is not a supported migration path.

IBM are insisting I need to migrate to 8.0 first before then migrating to 9.1.
While I appreciate that this is not a particularly great hardship, it will cut into our prod maintenance window more than I'd like.

Thanks.

Usually this type of migration also involves a newer hardware / newer OS making the type of migration you show a moot point, as you'd create the qmgr from scratch
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Unsupported 7.0.1.8 to 9.1 single-stage migration Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

phil_m wrote:
I've done this on our DEV systems without any issues

So you've tested it in dev, using the same target OS and hardware (to my associate's point), and it's worked. By "worked", do you mean the migration completed without errors or that you've managed a full suite of tests (including load tests) without problems?

If the latter, why are you asking us?

phil_m wrote:

You need to weigh the hardship / inconvenience of following a supported route against the risk of using the unsupported one. Literally. This is a judgement call and it's specific to your site & your situation (again as my associate alludes to).

If you're content that the migration you did in Dev mirrors the one you'll do in Prod, go for it. If you're content that in the event of a Prod outage you can quickly rebuild and recover, go for it.

If you're not, don't.

At least you've tried it in Dev. Many posters with this kind of question just ask blind.
phil_m
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.
Yes, I did test from an application point of view in DEV, but as we all know that won't stop a problem occurring down the line if we try something slightly different.

Why ask you? Because you guys obviously have far deeper knowledge of MQ that I have. I didn't know whether this was just IBM being super cautious or whether there was actually risk in the process. After all, they do say it may work, but they just haven't tested it with out of support versions.

Sadly these are legacy systems, so there is no space for side by side migrations of any sort.
However, I can at least say I have now explored this possibility and the business will just have to give me the window to do the job properly.

Thanks again.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

phil_m wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.
Yes, I did test from an application point of view in DEV, but as we all know that won't stop a problem occurring down the line if we try something slightly different..

"Supported" means that IBM has chosen a particular migration path, not that it has tested all other paths, and found that they lead to failure. IBM's supported path may or may not result in problems later. Similarly, your tested, but unsupported path, may or may not lead to problems later.

I strongly recommend that whichever path you choose to take, that you get written sign-off (approval) from management that they understand the risks and benefits.
HubertKleinmanns
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

bruce2359 wrote:
IBM's supported path may or may not result in problems later. Similarly, your tested, but unsupported path, may or may not lead to problems later.

That's correct, but when the IBM supported path results in problems later, it may be easier getting IBM Support for solving the problem .

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Unsupported 7.0.1.8 to 9.1 single-stage migration
Jump to: