ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Whether the connection from client is via SSL or not?

Whether the connection from client is via SSL or not? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
vicks_mq
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Whether the connection from client is via SSL or not? Reply with quote

Disciple

Hi, How do I know if the connection from client to my SVRCONN channel is in realtime using SSL or not?

Our SVRCONN channel definitions has these 2 parameters defined for SSL
SSLCIPH - TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256
SSLAUTH - OPTIONAL

and when I checked the status of this channel while it was in Running state, following SSL parameters values are being displayed.

i. SSL KEY RESETS = 0
ii. SSL key reset date = blank
iii. SSL key reset time= blank
iv. SSL cert issuer name = blank.
So, I am not sure whether the client connection is over SSL or not?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

The Knowledge Centre clearly states that if SSLCAUTH (not SSLAUTH as you have put above) is set to OPTIONAL that if a client presents a certificate then that certificate will be checked, but if a client does not present a certificate then no check is carried out.

What that means is:

1. A valid certificate can be presented and connection established;
2. An invalid certificate can be presented and connection will fail;
3. No certificate can be presented and connection established.

1. and 3. above presupposes that any authority/CONNAUTH/CHLAUTH checks etc. are passed.

If the running channel, when you check its status, does not show any SSL-related attributes populated (e.g. SSLCIPH) then the channel is obviously not using it.

SSLCAUTH should only be used for fault-finding on a temporary basis IMHO.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Also be aware there's a difference between a channel checking the certificate presented by the client, and using the unchecked certificate to negotiate SSL handshakes.

I agree with my worthy associate; if the running channel doesn't show SSLCIPH then the client either doesn't support the one you specify in it's certificate, or didn't supply a certificate at all, and the channel is running unencrypted.

Caveat: this is at the MQ level. The link might still be encrypted over the wire by the network. So just because it looks like gibberish in Wireshark doesn't mean MQ is encrypting anything. But it might still be encrypted.
vicks_mq
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

exerk wrote:
The Knowledge Centre clearly states that if SSLCAUTH (not SSLAUTH as you have put above) is set to OPTIONAL that if a client presents a certificate then that certificate will be checked, but if a client does not present a certificate then no check is carried out.

What that means is:

1. A valid certificate can be presented and connection established;
2. An invalid certificate can be presented and connection will fail;

1. and 3. above presupposes that any authority/CONNAUTH/CHLAUTH checks etc. are passed.

If the running channel, when you check its status, does not show any SSL-related attributes populated (e.g. SSLCIPH) then the channel is obviously not using it.

Thank you clarifying this, I did compare this channel with another application SVRCONN channel whereas this particular channel SSL attributes are blank in CHSTATUS command, the other channel I checked has value in SSLCERTI & SSLPEER.
vicks_mq
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

exerk wrote:

I think that made me aware of a loophole which of I was ignorant earlier, if client doesn't present any SSL certificate then even setting up SSL at MQ level and adding those SSL certificates in QMGR are not of any use (Unless I set SSLCAUTH to REQUIRED).
tczielke
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

If you define a CipherSuite on the SSLCIPH attribute of the SVRCONN channel (e.g. TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256), that will enforce that the channel has to use SSL/TLS. SSLCAUTH is more about if the client end is required to present a certificate or not to the queue manager.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Whether the connection from client is via SSL or not?
Jump to: