ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Does .Net MQClient use CCDT file?

Does .Net MQClient use CCDT file? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
pcelari
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Does .Net MQClient use CCDT file? Reply with quote

Chevalier

Greetings.

a .Net client application needs to connect to our clustered qmgrs. I already setup workload balancing across two qmgrs, and send the client a CCDT file that encapsulate the internal configuration that involves two qmgrs with different IPs and port. But the client insisted that I provide the host ip and port as ".Net doesn't use CCDT file."

Is this true? It sounds counter-intuitive as I'll have to expose my internal settings to the external client.

The MQ document about .Net support seems not to state this matter clearly.

Would an .Net expert share some insight and clarification?

thanks a lot!
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Does .Net MQClient use CCDT file? Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

pcelari wrote:
The MQ document about .Net support seems not to state this matter clearly.

Would an .Net expert share some insight and clarification?

I am not now nor have I ever been a .NET expert (though it is better than my Java).

I asked Mr. Google about "defining CCDT to .NET" and he suggested this as the first hit. I observed these as points 7 - 9:

Quote:

The client channel definition table (CCDT). The location of the CCDT is specified in the .NET application configuration file (applies to managed connections only)
The client channel definition table (CCDT). The location of the CCDT is specified using the environment variables MQCHLIB and MQCHLTAB
The client channel definition table (CCDT). The location of the CCDT is specified using the client configuration file

This seems to be to state fairly clearly that there are 6 things .NET tries before it uses a CCDT.
pcelari
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

thanks so much Vitor.

I was confused by the term "managed/unmanaged" connection. should have researched a bit more before posting the question. next time...
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

pcelari wrote:
I was confused by the term "managed/unmanaged" connection. should have researched a bit more before posting the question. next time...

I think it has to do with if you're using MSoft's awesome code to run the connection or if you're writing something that works understandably.

Put the same CCDT in the application configuration file and the location pointed to by the environment variables. Then you're covered, unless your client is using one of points 1-6 because the message providers they're used to don't have the equivalent of a CCDT.
St!n0
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Does .Net MQClient use CCDT file? Reply with quote

Novice

pcelari wrote:

as I'll have to expose my internal settings to the external client.

this is a bit off topic but I was just wondering how giving him the ip and port is exposing your settings as this information can easily be read from the AMQCLCHL.TAB file by opening it in notepadd++.
Sure there will be alot of unreadable content but I can easily retreive qmgrname, channel and host + port from an AMQCLCHL.TAB file. So in that thought, sending a CCDT file over or giving connection parameters is the same thing, no? Please correct me if i'm wrong.
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Does .Net MQClient use CCDT file? Reply with quote

Jedi Council

St!n0 wrote:
pcelari wrote:

as I'll have to expose my internal settings to the external client.

this is a bit off topic but I was just wondering how giving him the ip and port is exposing your settings as this information can easily be read from the AMQCLCHL.TAB file by opening it in notepadd++.
Sure there will be alot of unreadable content but I can easily retreive qmgrname, channel and host + port from an AMQCLCHL.TAB file. So in that thought, sending a CCDT file over or giving connection parameters is the same thing, no? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

The IP Address is likely to be NATted on the inside, and the queue manager name in the CCDT file can be an alias (notwithstanding that the real name can still be derived).
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

IBM's recommended CCDT practice is to create a unique CCDT with only those qmgrs that the client can/will/should connect to, and expose that unique CCDT to only those client platforms that need to do so.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

bruce2359 wrote:
IBM's recommended CCDT practice is to create a unique CCDT with only those qmgrs that the client can/will/should connect to, and expose that unique CCDT to only those client platforms that need to do so.

Indeed. If separate CCDT files are created for each app environment (Dev, Test, Prod etc), the app can connect to the same logical qmgr name in all environments, and the associated CCDT will use the appropriate CHANNEL & CONNAME to hit the correct qmgr for the environment.

If its the only app on the server, we update mqclient.ini to point to their CCDT, eg.
Code:
Channels:
   ChannelDefinitionDirectory=D:\MQData
   ChannelDefinitionFile=MYAPP_PROD.TAB

Containing:
Code:
DEFINE CHANNEL('MYAPP.PROD.SVRCONN') CHLTYPE(CLNTCONN) REPLACE +
   CONNAME('mqprodsvrhost.com(1415)') QMNAME('MYAPPMQ')

This basically removes all MQ config dependencies from the app, they just connect to MYAPPMQ name in their code.
pcelari
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Thanks so much for sharing all these!

Although it's beyond my inclination to learn .Net, your posts have gained me enough understanding that I could guide the .Net client party a bit to use the CCDT file we provide.
exerk
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

pcelari wrote:
Thanks so much for sharing all these!

Although it's beyond my inclination to learn .Net, your posts have gained me enough understanding that I could guide the .Net client party a bit to use the CCDT file we provide.

Not forgetting that an mqclient.ini file can be used to provide a more manageable solution...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Does .Net MQClient use CCDT file?
Jump to: