ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » How to quickly recover a MQ cluster from expired ssl certs?

How to quickly recover a MQ cluster from expired ssl certs? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
MQMB&WAS
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: How to quickly recover a MQ cluster from expired ssl certs? Reply with quote

Centurion

Hello experts,

Lets say we have a situation where all the ssl certs have expired for all the qmgrs in a cluster. Requesting certs from CA would take lot of time, so what is the quickest way to recover my cluster while I work with the CA.

Thanks for your time.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

You mean other than disabling SSL/TLS in channel definitions?
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to quickly recover a MQ cluster from expired ssl cer Reply with quote

Jedi

MQMB&WAS wrote:
Hello experts,
Lets say we have a situation where all the ssl certs have expired for all the qmgrs in a cluster...
Thanks for your time.

That wouldn't happen to us. We have reminders set up in our email system for 30 days prior to expiry. That gives up plenty of time to request new certs and deploy them.
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

It would be nice if MQ would issue a warning on the use of SSL/TLS when the cert is going to expire in 30 days or less (and log it in the Qmgr/Client log).
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

JosephGramig wrote:
It would be nice if MQ would issue a warning on the use of SSL/TLS when the cert is going to expire in 30 days or less (and log it in the Qmgr/Client log).

It would be nice if <insert product name here> would issue a warning on the use of SSL/TLS when the cert is going to expire in 30 days or less.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

One could use ikeyman or the gskcmd command line equivalent to interrogate certs for not-before and not-after dates. This was on the agenda of the weekly operations meeting.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSEQTJ_9.0.0/com.ibm.websphere.ihs.doc/ihs/cihs_viewcertexpire.html

Last edited by bruce2359 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

@bruce2359,

Yes but that would be manual and only for the local key store. I would like to know, for example on a SVRCONN connection that did mutual authentication, if the client, server or either signer cert is going to expire in 30 days or less.

It just needs to burp a warning in the Qmgr error log like WAS does.
tczielke
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

With openssl s_client, you could script something that can poke the queue managers from a central location and get back the personal certificate to check. As long as you are using one personal certificate per queue manager, you can avoid the complications of CERTLABL. But that does not cover client keystores as mentioned by JosephGramig.

In my opinion, the whole concept of certs expiring causes more grief with application availability than it helps with security. A hyperbolic example, but it would be similar to a car manufacturer that ensures everyone gets a 6 month oil change by having your engine lock up when it has passed exactly 7 months since your last oil change. You can be speeding on a highway overpass as your engine locks up right at seven months. As your car tumbles over the overpass you can say to yourself "Well this might be it for me, but at least my car manufacturer made sure I paid for that missed oil change. Thank you, Honda!"
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

tczielke wrote:
As your car tumbles over the overpass you can say to yourself "Well this might be it for me, but at least my car manufacturer made sure I paid for that missed oil change. Thank you, Honda!"

You'd be fine. No way a Honda's been driving round for 7 months without visiting a dealership for repairs; they'd do the oil change at the same time......

tczielke
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

Vitor wrote:
tczielke wrote:
As your car tumbles over the overpass you can say to yourself "Well this might be it for me, but at least my car manufacturer made sure I paid for that missed oil change. Thank you, Honda!"

You'd be fine. No way a Honda's been driving round for 7 months without visiting a dealership for repairs; they'd do the oil change at the same time......

Not my Honda!

Besides the fact that it kicks out heat on the lower vents when I turn the AC on, it works fine!
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

tczielke wrote:
Not my Honda!

Besides the fact that it kicks out heat on the lower vents when I turn the AC on, it works fine!

It's got to vent the excess heat it takes out somewhere
tczielke
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

exerk wrote:
tczielke wrote:
Not my Honda!

It's got to vent the excess heat it takes out somewhere

Not on my legs though, please! These Illinois summers are hot enough.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How to quickly recover a MQ cluster from expired ssl cer Reply with quote

Jedi

MQMB&WAS wrote:
Hello experts,
Lets say we have a situation where all the ssl certs have expired for all the qmgrs in a cluster. Requesting certs from CA would take lot of time, so what is the quickest way to recover my cluster while I work with the CA.
Thanks for your time.

Response #2: Disable on all channels until all renewed certs are in place.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » How to quickly recover a MQ cluster from expired ssl certs?
Jump to: