ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » hub & spoke model using mq clustering documentation

hub & spoke model using mq clustering documentation « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
charanR
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: hub & spoke model using mq clustering documentation Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hello,

I'm following this doc to create a hub & spoke model.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_9.0.0/com.ibm.mq.con.doc/q017440_.htm

I have a question in step 6.
I'm creating CL1.QM1 and CL2.QM1 on gateway qmgr as cluster-receiver but the documentation doesn't say anything about creating a cluster-sender. Is this still true ?

Thank you
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: hub & spoke model using mq clustering documentation Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

charanR wrote:
I'm creating CL1.QM1 and CL2.QM1 on gateway qmgr as cluster-receiver but the documentation doesn't say anything about creating a cluster-sender. Is this still true ?

Apart from these cluster senders you mean?
Code:

*... On QM1
DEFINE CHANNEL(CL1.QM2) CHLTYPE(CLUSSDR) CONNAME('localhost(1412)') CLUSTER(CL1) REPLACE
DEFINE CHANNEL(CL2.QM3) CHLTYPE(CLUSSDR) CONNAME('localhost(1413)') CLUSTER(CL2) REPLACE

charanR
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: hub & spoke model using mq clustering documentation Reply with quote

Apprentice

Vitor wrote:
charanR wrote:

Apart from these cluster senders you mean?
Code:

*... On QM1
DEFINE CHANNEL(CL1.QM2) CHLTYPE(CLUSSDR) CONNAME('localhost(1412)') CLUSTER(CL1) REPLACE
DEFINE CHANNEL(CL2.QM3) CHLTYPE(CLUSSDR) CONNAME('localhost(1413)') CLUSTER(CL2) REPLACE

yes. I should create CL1.QM1 and CL2.QM1 as cluster-senders somewhere correct ?
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: hub & spoke model using mq clustering documentation Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

charanR wrote:

No.

Members of a cluster have one cluster sender channel that points to a full repository. That's the point of a cluster.

Try reading the rest of the cluster documentation rather than just the list of instructions for what you think you need to do.

(and I'd not describe that link as a hub and spoke)
charanR
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: hub & spoke model using mq clustering documentation Reply with quote

Apprentice

Vitor wrote:
charanR wrote:

(and I'd not describe that link as a hub and spoke)

If this is not the link for a hub and spoke design, do you have a recommended documentation ?
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: hub & spoke model using mq clustering documentation Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

charanR wrote:
If this is not the link for a hub and spoke design, do you have a recommended documentation ?

Pretty much all of the rest of the documentation.

A hub and spoke is a series of queue managers in a point to point configuration. So you designate one queue manager as a hub, then work your way through all the spoke queue managers linking them to the hub.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

This is probably a good point to emphasize once again that an MQ cluster is not a hub and spoke configuration but a collective of equals with 2 queue managers nominated as record keepers. Messages pass directly between all members of this collective and do not dogleg through the repositories.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Vitor wrote:
Messages pass directly between all members of this collective and do not dogleg through the repositories.

"all" is a bit confusing. Messages flow point-to-point from the single qmgr where the msg was created to the single qmgr that owns the destination queue.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
Vitor wrote:
Messages pass directly between all members of this collective and do not dogleg through the repositories.

"all" is a bit confusing. Messages flow point-to-point from the single qmgr where the msg was created to the single qmgr that owns the destination queue.

You've been possessed by the spirit of my old English tutor. Douse your body with holy water, get some sage burning and order some crystals from Amazon. In the event of projectile vomiting call your local church.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Vitor wrote:

You've been possessed by the spirit of my old English tutor. Douse your body with holy water, get some sage burning and order some crystals from Amazon. In the event of projectile vomiting call your local church.

gbaddeley
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: hub & spoke model using mq clustering documentation Reply with quote

Jedi

charanR wrote:
Hello,
I'm following this doc to create a hub & spoke model.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_9.0.0/com.ibm.mq.con.doc/q017440_.htm

Figure 1. Client-server application deployed to hub and spoke architecture using IBM MQ clusters

I wish IBM would remove 'hub and spoke' from that caption. It is the only place it is mentioned on the page, and it is misleading. The correct terminology is 'overlapping clusters', as appears in the page title.
As alluded by a previous post, 'hub and spoke' is a different MQ architecture that uses point-to-point distributed channels, not cluster channels.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » hub & spoke model using mq clustering documentation
Jump to: