ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Common MQ script for UNIX & Windows

Common MQ script for UNIX & Windows « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
donbirno
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Common MQ script for UNIX & Windows Reply with quote

Novice

I have developed some shell scripts to monitor and administrate MQ in UNIX.We are adding up some windows servers now.

I guess javascript works on both UNIX and Windows, how flexible is it to write the same logic in javascript or writing a batch or powersheel with the same logic is the best thing to do?
My idea is to have a common script for both the env which makes it easier for future enhancements.

Eg of my script are discover and reset sequence of all channels in a qmgr. List and clear local queue with messages etc..
exerk
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Re-inventing the wheel?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Common MQ script for UNIX & Windows Reply with quote

Poobah

donbirno wrote:
Eg of my script are discover and reset sequence of all channels in a qmgr. List and clear local queue with messages etc..

This is, or should be, a very rare occurrence in normal operation.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

If you are wanting to monitor your entire MQ real estate then I tend to agree with the previous comment "why re-invent the wheel". There are many good monitoring products out there which have already solved many of the problems you will encounter. The cost of ownership of these products need not necessarily be prohibitive, especially when you consider the alternative.

If you are just trying to build a few scripts that will make your day to day life easier then writing them yourself makes perfect sense. I suspect most (if not all) MQ Administrators have a few scripts that they use on a regular basis to help them achieve common tasks.

As for the language to do it in I suspect that you will end up with a few. It depends on whether you are wanting to issue control commands or just issue MQ commands. If you are wanting to issue MQ commands though then it might be worth taking a look at MQSCX

<vendor plug>

MQSCX is a simple scripting language which allows you to issue and process the responses from MQSCX commands. It also makes using interactive MQSC a lot faster. The script language it very simple and easy to understand and limited only by your imagination. Here's a quick example that shows how you can add up how many messages you have across all your queues in your queue manager.
Code:

@total = 0
foreach(DISPLAY QLOCAL(*) WHERE(CURDEPTH GT 0))
  @total = @total + CURDEPTH
endfor
print 'Total CURDEPTH =',@total

Anyway if you are interested in MQSCX send an email to support@mqgem.com and we'll send you a free no obligation trial licence. The price of the product is very reasonable, especially considering the amount of time it can save you. All our prices, for all our products, are clearly displayed on our web site.

</vendor plug>

Cheers,

Paul.
mvic
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Common MQ script for UNIX & Windows Reply with quote

Jedi

donbirno wrote:
I have developed some shell scripts to monitor and administrate MQ in UNIX.We are adding up some windows servers now.

There are many opinions on what language etc. to use.
But I would choose Java for a project like this.
A JRE fileset/package is included with MQ, in fact, so you don't even need to struggle to obtain it.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Common MQ script for UNIX & Windows Reply with quote

Jedi

mvic wrote:
donbirno wrote:

There are many opinions on what language etc. to use.
But I would choose Java for a project like this.
A JRE fileset/package is included with MQ, in fact, so you don't even need to struggle to obtain it.

We use Korn Shell on UNIX and PowerShell on Windows. We avoid Java because it creates a dependency, and a need to patch / upgrade Java when required (sometimes it is forced due to security vulnerability remediation), so one ends up with a multitude of different Java versions and implementations (eg. Oracle, IBM), and various issues with compatibility, deprecation etc. Korn Shell and PowerShell are essentially part of the OS and seems to be a more reliable footprint over the longer term (5 - 10 years). [Sorry, I'm not a fan of Java]
mvic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Common MQ script for UNIX & Windows Reply with quote

Jedi

I initially thought the OP wanted to call MQ APIs, but re-reading, I was probably wrong about that.
If wanting to call MQ APIs, then shell is not good for that.
So anyway I will shift ground and say, shell is ok, but better to use Perl.
mvic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Common MQ script for UNIX & Windows Reply with quote

Jedi

Re. the point about needing to keep JREs updated.
Just use the one that comes with MQ, and regularly update your MQ.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Common MQ script for UNIX & Windows
Jump to: