ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » POC - Simple Cluster Question

POC - Simple Cluster Question « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mca
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: POC - Simple Cluster Question Reply with quote

Disciple

I am doing a POC of clustering two Queue Managers. I followed the link below and successfully created a cluster with two full repository Queue Managers, QMGR1 & QMGR2.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSFKSJ_9.0.0/com.ibm.mq.con.doc/q017360_.htm#q017360_d

I created a cluster Queue (CLUQ) on QMGR1. I am able to PUT a message on CLUQ from both QMGR1 & QMGR2, but i am only able to GET the messages from QMGR1 (QM where the cluster Q is created) and not from QMGR2.

What am i missing to not able to GET the messages from the other Queue Manager ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: POC - Simple Cluster Question Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mca wrote:
What am i missing to not able to GET the messages from the other Queue Manager ?

What you're missing is that any local queue is hosted by a given, singular queue manager. The fact that the queue manager in question participates in a cluster and shares that queue in a cluster doesn't change this fact. So in the same way you wouldn't be able to get a message from queue X if it's hosted on QMGR2 and you're cliented/connected to QMGR1 in a non-clustered topology, you can't get a message from queue X if it's hosted on QMGR2 and you're cliented/connected to QMGR1 and both queue managers are in the same cluster.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Before anyone says anything, a z/OS queue sharing group is not a cluster but is the exception to the "can only get from the hosting queue manager" rule.

But that uses a z/OS specific construct to host the queues which is not available on any other platform.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: POC - Simple Cluster Question Reply with quote

Jedi

mca wrote:
I am doing a POC of clustering two Queue Managers.

MQ clustering is really only useful for workload balancing / availability if there are at least 3 qmgrs in the cluster. 2 qmgrs contain instances of clustered local queues, and there are 2 instances of the consumer app. The msg producer app runs on the 3rd qmgr, which balances msgs across the 2 others.

There should be exactly 2 Full Repository qmgrs. These can be the app qmgrs, or ideally they should be 2 separate qmgrs on separate highly available servers.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: POC - Simple Cluster Question Reply with quote

Poobah

mca wrote:
IWhat am i missing to not able to GET the messages from the other Queue Manager ?

MQPUTs can result in a message being put across a network. MQGETs are local; that is, the consuming app must be connected to the qmgr where the local queue exists.

PUT GLOBAL, GET LOCAL.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » POC - Simple Cluster Question
Jump to: